Sign in to follow this  
mommag

Bach P & S recordings

I looked at the pair of CDs that Omobono put up of Szeryng and Grumiaux but after a lot of listening I have put Milstein 1950, Grumiaux, and of course Eugene Drucker down as my desired sets. I love Drucker's Chaconne, his phrasing and the way he changes the sound quality of the violin as he goes from one passage to the next. I tend to fall in love with what I hear and I have been listening to him a lot, him and the home player who also has those moments of wringing out my soul with the beauty of this piece just not with quite the level of consistency.

Oh and I listened to sound clips of Kremer and I think he sounds amazing too, but how many complete cd sets can I get to round out my collection of partial ones, wanting 3 already seems ridiculous.

Your local library probably has a lot of these available to check out. If they don't have them at your particular branch, they can probably arrange to transfer them over. Then you'll have three weeks or so to sample everything and see what you like best.

If you're in America, you can always order the CDs from amazon.com too. They're actually a pretty good source for classical music CDs, and it happens to be where I've purchased most of my recordings (though I'm a Canadian).

I succumbed -

was in a CD store today

though I haven't bought one for ages

and saw the Grumiaux Bach

at a price I couldn't beat on the net.

Will play through and give a verdict here later.

grum.jpg

A few initial thoughts on hearing the Grumiaux:

polished, immaculate articulation and stylish interpretation.

Tempos on the quick side (even quicker than Milstein)

e.g. the Sarabanda of the 1st Sonata.

some allegros almost breakneck speed, but he pulls it off.

Need more time with it to add some more comment.

I'm so jealous of you, Omobono On another note, I think I will

take your suggestions and get Szeryng or Grumiaux first and explore

more from there. I am curious of Kremer, too. But one thing at a

time...I will sample other recordings mentioned in this thread and

decide on the next one to get. It will take awhile, I'm sure

Make sure at some point to listen to a recording by a member of the A-415 crowd (Podger and van Dael are good). They have a somewhat different take on these pieces and bring important insights to them.

quote:

Originally posted by:
thom

Make sure at some point to listen to a recording by a member of the A-415 crowd (Podger and van Dael are good). They have a somewhat different take on these pieces and bring important insights to them.

I agree - Listen to one of the classic interpretations of the 20th century,

then if you subscribe to naxos.com online for a year at $20

you can lsiten to Lucy van Dael any time you want.

(I also saw at least another 10 versions at the CD shop yesterday

including Kremer and Podger and Perlman sets but opted for the "cheap'

Grumiaux)

naxos

Having listened again to Grumiaux's solo Bach

I was struck by his very characteristic vibrato.

Rapid but warm - different again from the Menuhin sound, for example.

Quite fascinating and distinctive.

Omobono, I ordered Grumiaux's CD today! I can't wait to listen to it I also ordered Kremer's Bach S & P DVD. It will be interesting to see his fingering and bowing. I wonder if the sound quality is different from his CD?

Great sounds like you're in for a treat of solo Bach!

Well done! Sure you will not be disappointed.

(And then we think after all - Ghee... I can play like that too!)

The one I ordered is the first CD of Grumiaux Omobono mentioned above. It was $12.97 at Amazon. Of course, shipping charges will apply, but I ordered other things too, so they didn't charge me for the shipping.

I have a fairly large collection of the Bach S & P. Recently I have added the latest Kremer version and the James Ehnes recording to the ones I already have. Of what I would call the 'mainstream' readings - Milstein, Szeryng, Grumiaux, I would add Ehnes to that list and recommend his version over the others mentioned for his beauty of sound and purity of intonation. I would classify Kremer as outside of the mainstream. He uses nearly every bowing device in the book to put as much color into these works as possible and his tempos are extremely fast in some of the movements (think Paganini Caprice #5). There is so much to love about his set that it would be the one recording of the Bach S & P I would have, if I was just limited to one. Now if only Hilary Hahn would give us a complete set .... sigh......

Rosin, I agree with your comment on Kremer's recording. I purchased his Partita DVD. It is interesting to see his point of view. I don't know if people will falling in love with his interpretation, but like he said in the interview, he rather be wrong being creative than following the script strictly and boring. In that regard he succeeded in his intension. James Ehnes is supposed to be performing in the city close to us next May. I will definitely go see his performance since everyone's comment about him is very favorable. When I finish listening to my new Grumiaux S & P CD, I may take you up on the suggestion and get James Ehnes' S & P

For those who bought the Grumiaux S & P, don't second guess your decision to do so. It was my favorite reading for decades. James Ehnes over Grumiaux was a close call. Ehnes brings a bit more beauty of tone to the table, while Grumiaux brings a bit more intensity of sound, that is the main difference. The one version which is overlooked when the topic is brought up in various violin forums is by Gregory Fulkerson on the Bridge Label (a budget set) His readings are big, massive, macho. If John Wayne played the violin, this is the way he would of done it. Of all the Chaconnes out there, I like his the best. Each "variation" is given its own sound color and a little bit of tempo flexibility comes into play as well. On the opposite extreme are the small scale readings by Rachael Podger on a baroque violin. There are sounds which can be pulled out on the baroque set up and bow which can not be reproduced on a modern violin. If one has one mainstream recording, and is wanting something different, I would try out Podgers set before any others. One warning, the fugues and Chaconne are very small scale. There is only so much sound that a baroque violin can produce, gentleness is the name of the game here.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Rosin

Gregory Fulkerson on the Bridge Label - If John Wayne played the violin, this is the way he would of done it.

I love that......

Some time back I mentioned this French film and Falstaff expressed some interest

being a Kremer fan, since the film features his playing of the solo Bach

and the Chaconne in particular.

Here are some details of the film I relocated:

le Violin

It really is quite a touching film and of added interest to string players

and lovers of the Bach Sonatas.

Thank you Omobono for locating info for this film. Kremer mentioned about the film in his Partita DVD and there was a short clip of it where the guy plays Chaconne for a dying homeless man. I wonder if there's anyplace I can get a copy or rent it somewhere?