Sign in to follow this  
JohnCockburn

violinmaple.com

I looked at the website but I don't have any intention of buying european maple in the forseable future. I'm happy with lightly figured or unfigured red maple for now. Anyways I just thought that it was intereting that there are now two maple dealers in Bratislavia. I'm just curious about how these two supliers may be connected. Is the new guy a disgruntled SVS former employee with some good stories to tell or just some new guy?

violinmaple.com is not new.

As far as I know, the website has existed for more than 4 years.... It used to be a different style. They changed the website design about 3 years ago.

But I have never tried them.

quote:

Originally posted by:
ispirati
violinmaple.com is

not new. As far as I know, the website has existed for more than 4

years.... It used to be a different style. They changed the website

design about 3 years ago. But I have never tried them.

ispirati you get another cookie!

"http://web.archive.org/web/*/violinmaple.com">http://web.archive.org/web/*/violinmaple.com

2002!

No this is not a new company. I have experience with them. And it's best understood by some pictures. In july 2006 I ordered some wood of which a one piece viola back selected from their picture gallery number #88. Picture no. 001 is supposed to represent 1st quality wood. But once received I saw the back side of the wood. The defect is still too large and too deep to be used for a 16" viola.

After my complaint by E-mail they suggested me to visit an exhibition in Germany where they had a booth (Munich I think it was) and to bring the wood there and to give it back. After I decided not to spend money to go to Munich and to give them back this piece of wood they offered me an extra piece of wood for free (but of less quality) that I accepted. Later on I received a second quality piece of wood. After this I decided not to order any wood in future. I was very disappointed by such a way of treatment.

Frits

Internet tone wood suppliers must be reliable. Most people are not in the position to travel around in Europe to e.g. Bratislava Germany or Switserland to select themselves a nice piece of wood. If the tone wood that is selected from the pictures is not delivered or the picture does not reveal how the wood really is than they don't deserve any business. That's my opinion.

Frits

quote:

Originally posted by:
DutchViolins
Internet tone

wood suppliers must be reliable. .... If the tone wood that is

selected from the pictures is not delivered or the picture does not

reveal how the wood really is than they don't deserve any business.

That's my opinion. Frits

Frits, that piece of wood shouldn't have even been Quality 1 in the

first place, so one has to wonder, could that have

been deception on their part.

Maybe somebody got greedy ?

Then to not replace it with a piece of wood that was of equal

quality, or even better, shows poor customer support.

Fortunately they aren't the only wood suppliers out there.

Did you manage to get a violin out of it?

quote:

Originally posted by:
David Tseng
Among the

Internet tonewood suppliers, I deal more often with

www.liuteria-antica.com because "I get exactly what I see on his

site".

Nice looking wood .... just one problem.  

If you click on the Japanese flag instead of the British flag, then

you get a discount for some reason?

135 Euros vs. 124 Euros for the top quality.

Guess I'll have to move to Japan and learn Japanese!

quote:

Originally posted by:
NewNewbie

quote:

Originally posted by:
DutchViolins
Internet tone

wood suppliers must be reliable. .... If the tone wood that is

selected from the pictures is not delivered or the picture does not

reveal how the wood really is than they don't deserve any business.

That's my opinion. Frits

Frits, that piece of wood shouldn't have even been Quality 1 in the

first place, so one has to wonder, could that have

been deception on their part.

Maybe somebody got greedy ?

Then to not replace it with a piece of wood that was of equal

quality, or even better, shows poor customer support.

Fortunately they aren't the only wood suppliers out there.

Did you manage to get a violin out of it?

I did a check how deep the defect was. My hope was that the defect may stop somewhere half it's way of the one piece back. But unfortunately it was too deep. Another option could be to inverse the direction of the flames in such a way that the smaller bout would come on the defect side. But as said before the defect was too deep and at a very unfavourable location. I didn't check if a one piece violin back would be possible because I wanted a viola back not a violin back. The piece of wood is still in the state of having carved out the defect and is waiting for it's new destination whatever it will be.

Frits

Marco Ternovec is a maker and a good businessman. In addition to the quality is represented by the price, he will also describe the general quality of each piece of wood I select. If I like a particular piece of wood, I will ask him to find more from the same log. I use his Mq and IIq wood for violins and am very happy with the quality.

Dutch, I still would not hesitate to make a viola out of that! Plenty of fine instruments have little flaws like that, in my opinion they just add some extra character and interest to the instrument! It just has to be dealt with so that it doesn't constitute a weakness. However, you should not pay full price for a piece of wood like that, of course.

Wood suppliers, don't jack us around!

I understand that you need to get rid of your junk, but understand also that there is a lot of "behind the scenes" communication which has the potential to make you or break you.

No, I won't marry your daughter to get access to your really good stuff!

If wood is outstanding and carries a 50% price premium, most established makers don't care, so charge a premium price if you must. Send less than your best when asked for, and you'll be trashed from here to tomorrow.

I'll spend 50K plus at one time. Mess with me, and it will result in not only no further business from me, but in no business from a lot of other people.

Right or wrong, that's just the way our business works.

Your call.

Here Here David, well said. There is way to much information sharing on forms like this for bad business practices to go unchecked. Bad deals and crappy service will eventually break a company.

Berl

@John,

Oh yes, they do have nice pieces of tone wood (maple).

In one of my previous posts I did not say that ALL their wood had a defect but amongst a set of several pieces for violin and viola they delivered a Ia Quality viola one piece back with a huge defect in it.

If a company wants to be attractive for buyers and be reliable this should not have been happened. Also their after sales service is below the normal standards.

The other pieces I received where of excellent quality. Probably like yours.

Frits