Maestronet Forums

smokin' E string

gabi

I would say the motion of the string during whistling is so relatively violent, it is causing the rosin that has adhered to it to loosen and fly off. Or instead, it is vibrating the hair so violently at the point of contact, it causes fine rosin to be released from the hair. Perhaps it is a combination of both phenomenon. It is the only possible explanation to me. I have never noted this before (perhaps because my E strings don't whistle ), but it is something to watch for.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Steve_W

quote:

Originally posted by:
gabi

Why does the E string blow a tiny cloud of rosin everytime it whistles?

Because you're using too much rosin?

Well, let's think about this. If whistling is caused by rotation of the string, having too much rosin on the bow would allow it to grab on to the string for a longer time before it lets go, and when it lets go, the portion of the string that is in contact with the string is going to want to stay stuck to the bow hair, therefore making it turn clockwise (for a down bow) as the string rebounds away. This would create rotational tension in the string, and it would rotate the other way until it has too much rotational tension in the initial direction again. This would repeat at the resonant frequency for rotation of the string. Or, so I think.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Mauricio

This is the best way to deal with a whistling e-string, pause it, wait for it to download and fastforward it to minute 3:30

That's exactly the kind of squeal I ran into the other day. It usually occured when I was playing the A and slurring to the E.

I was using a set of old Red Lables so I changed them out to a new set of Precisions. Three days later, they were squealing worse than the old red lables were. Even the A wanted to get in to the act. I did everything I could think of to stop the squeal but I was out of my home town on vacation and couldn't find any replacement E's to try. Ended up removing the shoulder rest and the problem went away. Must be sunspots or something.

Mauricio,

Thanks for posting the link.

I am baffled by the clapping after he fluffed the cords.

It's a bit like the AC Milan centre-forward being clapped for missing an open goal.

ps - perhaps, it was the recording equipment, but I thought the violin sounded ghastly.

----------------------------------------

Addendum

Based on this video, I might create for myself a new and completely objective way of determining whos CDs I will buy - it may be something like:

f(x) = Log10[hair length] x e*(hair volume, washed) x c(hair colour), where c = number of open E's played without being fluffed

-----------------------------------------

Addendum 2

The equation above is fatally flawed, it should be:

f(x) = c (hair colour) - {Log10[hair length] x e*(hair volume, washed)}