Sign in to follow this  
mommag

How do you prepare before performance?

When you are about to perform on stage or go into a competition,

how do you prepare a few days before the big day?  Do you

practice like crazy, or do you take it easy and practice less?

I don't do solo work and avoid orchestras now if I can

but for chamber music

would probably not overdo it the day before.

Instead on the day a good few hours before

working together with a break for meal

(though again I prefer only something light beforehand)

or personal practice then the performance.

Seems to work well for us.

Too much work in the 24 hours beforehand

can leave one drained, I think.

You want to leave something in reserve

especailly for a demanding programme.

My thoughts.

My performance advice is to be in performance shape a few weeks before the performance. The day before the performance you should still be working full steam and the day of the performance you should relax as much as possible.

Definitely take it easy the last few days. Play a little, to keep

the muscle-memory taught, but play something different, and not too

demanding, so the performance is fresh and vigorous.

On the day of the performance, I suggest any combination of the

following:

Yoga

Swimming

Gestalt therapy

Jack Daniels

Masturbation (or a quick date with David Burgess's

sheep)

So sez I.

Yeah, you don't want to be musicked out when you hit the stage. Sometimes abstinence makes the muse respond better; somehow you can bring more to the music if you just let your subconscious chew on it a bit.

Jack doesn't do it for me. Messes up the timing. But of course your mileage may vary.

That is interesting, because I have wondered about that. My teacher likes to rehearse a piece from end to end, and do so close to the concert. I found that I wanted to start holding back close to the concert, as though keeping something in reserve. A few years ago we were to do a duet together and we rehearsed the night before with the accompanist for the first time. It almost seemed that he was getting energized through that, and we rehearsed the little piece over and over with increasing energy. The next day I felt "emptied", as though I had already given my performance and I had to forcefully get over it.

Always before when I was to perform I started to withdraw from the piece a few days before. I would be going over it in my mind, find myself tweaking this or that part to make it better, and when performing it seemed that there was "more" to it then normal. I thought that putting something in reserve, as someone put it, was just me.

Recently we rehearsed the pieces right before the concert, and after playing them through twice I made an excuse of being tired or losing my concentration. The truth is that I was starting to play like an automaton, losing all the fine points I was trying to hold on to for the performance. In fact, after I went home I rested for a few hours. Then I went over the piece slowly in sections and started to get back the technical areas and details that I wanted to hold on to for the performance as if restoring it. I have always felt as though I were losing something rather than gaining by playing a piece through repeatedly before a performance, but I doubted myself on this.

Thank you, all. My son played in a small competition within his youth orchestra the other day. He took it easy on that day and the day before the competition. We met up with an accompanist one hour before the check-in time and went over the piece very slowly and went out for lunch, came back and checked in, played one more through. The pianist played Chopin's Nocturn for us to relax

He went in the room after that. I could hear him from outside the door. Overall went well except one part he came in a second too late, and the pianist forgot to come in during Cadenza (it's just the small chord section.) No matter how well you think you're prepared, anything could happen on stage

It's funny he claims he never gets nervous, but that day, he said "I could hear my heart beating inside my violin!"

For a performance with orchestra, a lot will be determined by the orchestra schedule. For Friday/Saturday concerto performances, you'd typically have rehearsals Thursday and Friday. With an amateur orchestra, you sometimes don't have a rehearsal until immediately before the performance. Some people claim that a bad rehearsal makes a good performance, and some people get psyched up by a great rehearsal and take that momentum into the performance. I've been down at the hall on a Thursday night and heard guest pianists practicing up a storm in the hall. We had a guest concertmaster who ended up with a hotel suite next to Lang Lang and reported that he practiced at all hours (he had a piano in his suite).