Sign in to follow this  
reepicheep

A Recent Ebay Purchase

I got this on Ebay about a month ago. It has a fake 1600s Pazzini label in it, and a real 1850's German repair label. The only thing we know for sure is that it has an original baroque neck, and that the back has been very nicely replaced, so it's a composite. Other than that, identification is still up in the air. We originally thought it might be Brescian.

I loaded the photos onto a image hosting site, the ebay listing is already gone.

Photos

I will say one thing, we strung it up and played it.... it's an absolute cannon! It sounds very very good, even before the repairs it needs! I was very happy with that

Any help / wild guesses / comments would be greatly appreciated!

Appears to be German (Mittenwald School) violin from 18th century. The back looks to be made of pearwood. It is probably very light in weight. What matters the most is that you like the sound! Congrats with the purchase!

I like the scroll. I like the way it ends in a little apostrophe instead of a cylinder. I also like the back. Nice grain without the flame. I've got some maple that might turn out that way if I can figure out how to finish it properly. I'm always interested in alternative wood species used in musical instruments.

Sounds like you got a good deal.