Sign in to follow this  
PhilipKT

DAVID CARON CELLOS

Last July, I bought a David Caron Cello #176... it sounds like the voice of God. I have played several other modern instruments, and quite a few old instruments, but I don't consider myself any kind of expert on any instrument, so I'm not finding fault with any maker, just saying that my Caron is delicious, exquisite, wonderful, and I have no interest in any other cello. My question is this:

There are 56 Caron cellos... I know Terry King owns one, and a local cellist friend owns one(her hubby has a Matsuda. there is no comparison between the two.)

Who owns a David Caron?

I know a cellist in the Houston Symphony that owns 2.  Caron is a personal friend of his and both instruments were custom built for him. The last one is an exquisite work of art with a special Hawaiian hardwood diamond patterns inlaid in the back and used for the pegs, nut, end pin holder, and tailpiece, and the diamond pattern was also used in the carving of the scroll and shape of the pegs.   David kept it for a year as an exposition instrument before sending it on to my friend.   Wish I had taken photos.  You will notice his cellos rarely rarely come up for sale. 

26 minutes ago, DR. S said:

I know a cellist in the Houston Symphony that owns 2.  Caron is a personal friend of his and both instruments were custom built for him. The last one is an exquisite work of art with a special Hawaiian hardwood diamond patterns inlaid in the back and used for the pegs, nut, end pin holder, and tailpiece, and the diamond pattern was also used in the carving of the scroll and shape of the pegs.   David kept it for a year as an exposition instrument before sending it on to my friend.   Wish I had taken photos.  You will notice his cellos rarely rarely come up for sale. 

Thanks for your note. I had completely Forgotten about having posted this comment, but 12 years later I am no less enthusiastic about my instrument. My initial comment turned out to be prophetic because( long story short) i found out many years after the fact that one of my student’s mother had called the sound of my cello “sky voice” or “heavenly voice” and Heaven is where God lives.

so the name of my own cello is “heavenly voice” sounds better in Chinese, though.

45 minutes ago, jacklinks said:

Not sure about cellos, but if you ever see one of his violins come up for sale, please pass the word along. I have no idea what his violin prices were/are though.

I was astonished that one of David’s violins sold in Boston at Skinner, I think, for about $3000 which, is, amazing.

16 minutes ago, PhilipKT said:

I was astonished that one of David’s violins sold in Boston at Skinner, I think, for about $3000 which, is, amazing.

Why?
I think most living makers work on the second-hand market would sell for less than the initial purchase price, only a handful of lucky makers can see them sell for more.
Contemporary instruments seem to do badly at auction, worse than anywhere else.

Edit: I'm assuming you feel $3000 is a low price for one.

Edited by Wood Butcher
Clarification

49 minutes ago, Wood Butcher said:

Why?
I think most living makers work on the second-hand market would sell for less than the initial purchase price, only a handful of lucky makers can see them sell for more.
Contemporary instruments seem to do badly at auction, worse than anywhere else.

Edit: I'm assuming you feel $3000 is a low price for one.

Yes that is correct. David seems to be more admired for his viola‘s and his cellos then for his violins, but for a well-made example and excellent condition to sell for so little is very surprising. Someone got a very good deal, or there was some kind of serious damage that Was not identified in the auction listing.

For me it is his cellos that really set him apart. I have played several of his violas and violins and the contemporary instruments I own, by relatively unknown makers are considerably better (not just my opinion.)  I also find his violas physically difficult to play, heavy with a thick neck.  I know one professional who had to replace his Caron viola because of physical problems caused by the instrument.   But still, his cellos are etherial.