Sign in to follow this  
zinomaniac

Gobetti on ebay

Try using the search function above for Reichshof Germany. This seller, 1geige, has been mentioned. There has been some prior discussion of offerings from this area.

The neck shown in the black and white photos appears to be ash to me, maybe a variety of oak, but in the color pictures this original neck has been replaced with maple and the scroll grafted on. Just something that I noted that seemed odd. I don't have anthing to add about the seller or the authenticity of the violin but I have to wonder, if it really was old and valuable why did they chop off the original neck? Then again it was recently done to a Strad so that doesn't mean anything.

My  expectation is that if the violin sounds and plays at a

level useful to professional performers, the urge to modernize the

neck could not be resisted as such early instruments are obviously

in short supply. I think the present custom is to modernize

stringed instruments in lieu or preserving historic value. Even the

"untouched" Messiah did not survived the modifications of

Vuillaume.

Can someone satisfy my curiosity here-the wood grain of

the violin for sale, is remarkably like the photos of the

original-the more one examines the minutest detail the more this

seems to prevail. So-is the book itself a fake? Did some masterful

artist perform a premium job of grain painting? Or is some

electronic reproduction technique at play here?

Of course the fiddle may be the real thing.

Regards,

Fritz

quote:

Originally posted by:
sonnichs

Can someone satisfy my curiosity here-the wood grain of

the violin for sale, is remarkably like the photos of the

original-the more one examines the minutest detail the more this

seems to prevail. So-is the book itself a fake? Did some masterful

artist perform a premium job of grain painting? Or is some

electronic reproduction technique at play here?

Of course the fiddle may be the real thing.

Fritz; If you accept that the instrument is the same one that is illustrated in the book, I think you've left out a fundamental question.

Troutabout; I'm not sure I agree with you. neck joints "weakening" really isn't the primary reason a neck "falls" significantly. It usually has more to do with body distortion (top & back plates). The actual neck and heal may move a little, but not that much. Besides, a neck set would most likely solve that problem in either case, so I don't see as it has much impact on the question at hand.

You are buying a "copy" of that thing. The picture was about that thing. You are

not buying that thing as I read the description of that thing. Am I right?

For what it is worth, there is no copy of "LIUTERIA ITALIANO INEDITA" by Umberto Azzolina (or any misspelled permutations of that title or author) for sale on Advanced Book Exchange, the largest interchange for used books in the world. That does not mean there is no such book, but typically even very rare books have at least one copy for sale on ABE at any given time, especially "important" books.

Rich

Amazon shows the book (Liuteria italiana inedita =: Unpublished instruments of known Italian violin makers) as being published in 1991 and an ISBN of 8885635067.

Maybe you did have difficulty finding a listing of the book because the ebay seller didn't spell the title correctly. It's "Italiana" not "Italiano".

Link

I think y'all are missing my point... maybe I should go about this in a subliminal way... there may be a couple of reasons the book is "very rare" and a reason or two it's not listed on ABE... [the] one in particular comes to mind... but [book] I won't go any further and will [is] avoid direct comment (at least in public) on items for sale... [garbage] so I'll take my leave.

The real thing, copy, fake or whatever -- I think the scroll on the actual violin shown in the ebay ad is very unique and beautiful.

It is diffficult enough to judge a violin only by look (for most of us). It is a good advice to pay an

expert to get some serious assessments.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Janito

This thread is great - has almost everything for a good summer read, except sex and religion.

Can anyone supply these...?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Religion is about loving yourselves; sex is about loving others. If you do it right

you are happy. If you do it wrong , you are in trouble city.

If the Gobetti scrolls in the Walter Hamma book are authentic, the scroll on the Ebay 'Gobetti' violin is very different.

Then again, what do I know (or see).