Sign in to follow this  
henrypeacham

Beethoven couldn't get the lead out.

I'm sure the doctor didn't want him dead; he was just using the treatment of the time.

That's why they call it "practicing" medicine.

In a hundred years, the treatments we use today will be looked on as barbarous, just as we now consider the use of leeches to be disgusting.

No, wait, we're using them again . . . .

No, one thing doesn't necessarily stem from the other. There is a whole range of possible explanations that would make more sense than a conspiracy theory. For instance, we don't know if Beethoven was adding anything (potion, patent medicine, etc) to his wine...

As for the Mozart movie - sheesh, it's a movie and not even close to the truth.

Why do people so lovingly and willingly jump on board with conspiracy theories?

Neil

This reminds me of a story I heard years ago. A prosperous family in the USA took ill with severe lead poisoning. After much study, it was found that they had been drinking orange juice every morning from some decorative pottery they had bought on vacation in another country. The glaze contained lead, which the acidic juice readily dissolved.

quote:

Originally posted by:
FutureConcertmaster

Thats pretty interesting, my question though would be why did someone (such as the doctor) want him dead? Reminds me of the Movie "Amadeus" with Mozart and Salieri....

+++++++++++++++

Betheven's death was tragic alright. 57 years old, in today standard, was a young man.

Mozart 37 ? We can blame on backwardness of the medicine of those days. It was not

advanced enough to provide opportunities for them to live a fuller life.

PS. I don't believe there was any person wanted to poison him. There could not be such ugly

and mean person.

Per Beethoven's secretary, Schindler, he was prescribed a wine/ice

mixture in his last years. Perhaps it was the German wine.

It is fairly well established that Paganini had severe mercury

treatments during much of his life, possibly for syphilis. In his

last years he had all of the classic symptoms of Mercury poisoning

which ultimately led to illness and premature death.

If one reads about the legacy of the mortal remains of various

famous composers in Europe, it is rather comical, or perhaps,

macabre, to learn of the many exhumations and examinations

that they were subjected to-

Fritz

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

Betheven's death was tragic alright. 57 years old, in today standard, was a young man.

Mozart 37 ? We can blame on backwardness of the medicine of those days. It was not

advanced enough to provide opportunities for them to live a fuller life.

PS. I don't believe there was any person wanted to poison him. There could not be such ugly

and mean person.

Well in the 19th Century 57 was an older age. According to standards back then he would have lived a full life.

I read in my history book recently that in the 18th to 19th centuries that the average human lived to about 45 years old.

"Apparently lead was a medicinal ingredient, and is still used in folk medicine today. Two medicines listed here contain 90% lead lead in folk medicine and are used, among other things, for teething babies!"

This is a stunning and disturbing piece of information.

One question I have never seen answered is whether the 45 year old average excludes deaths of children ages 5 and under and/or women who died in childbirth, both major groups in the equation. It may be that if you exclude them, the average would rise significantly and would be a more useful number for assessing Beethoven's longevity. Anyone know the answer?

quote:

Originally posted by:
thom

One question I have never seen answered is whether the 45 year old average excludes deaths of children ages 5 and under and/or women who died in childbirth, both major groups in the equation. It may be that if you exclude them, the average would rise significantly and would be a more useful number for assessing Beethoven's longevity. Anyone know the answer?

The book that I quoted excluded young children and infant fatalities. If you included them in the equation, yah the the average life span would probably drop dramatically. Although at this time there was a relatively low amount of child fatalities (well low for the time, still very high in todays standards).

Honestly i do not think bethoven was killed

You have to remember life expectancy at that time was what maybe mid to late 40's Beethoven would have been considered somewhat "old"

although the high traces of lead maybe have somehow weaken his body i think beethoven was near death regardless.

The lead maybe have just quickened the amount of time his body had left

but that is just my opinion and how much can a 16 yr old know

You gotta know a lot by age sixteen. At fifty-nine, I've accepted the fact that in nearly every past age, one such as I would already have been eaten by a predator, then scavengers, then bugs.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Marie Brown

You gotta know a lot by age sixteen. At fifty-nine, I've accepted the fact that in nearly every past age, one such as I would already have been eaten by a predator, then scavengers, then bugs.

haha thats a good one but by fifty nine you might not have been able to outrun, or kill the predator like my 16 yr old self could have maybe done

but you could have probably outsmarted it which i couldnt have done because my ego and energy would have erged me to attack the predator rather outsmart it