Sign in to follow this  
violinplayer555

American Violin on Ebay

I like two things about this violin, one being made in Evanston, Illinois and second being old.

If you had this violin, what are you going to do with it? Play it or store it to admire once it a while?

To some people it is a problem.

Certainly some American violins are valuable; some are not.

WHile I am certainly no expert, it seems to me that the violin in question is pretty low-end. The scroll is unattractive, the varnish is kind of monotonous, the wood is lacking in interest, the tailpiece is either too short or improperly installed, and the fact that the maker was only willing to identify his location, but not his name, is perhaps significant.

I've bought too many violins on ebay, and got my share of firewood, I wouldn't have spent 50 bucks on this one, and I think you were lucky to have missed it as well.

Of course, I may be totally wrong on this, but in any case I won't be pounding my head onto the table in frustration over this one.

I doubt very much that it's an American made violin. It's a trade violin sold in Evanston, Illinois and fiddlecollector's guess as to the origin works for me. I don't think the price is bad for what it is but low end old trade fiddles are not in short supply. If there are no big problems it could be a playable violin without spending too much and if it needs an expensive repair some gold spray paint would make it into a nice wall decoration.