Sign in to follow this  
mommag

Need recommendation on strings for 3/4 size violin

Hi, my son is playing on a 3/4 size violin now.  I've tried

several different sets of strings on it in the past year including

Evah, Obligato, Dominant, infeld red and vision.  Someone told

me I can put 4/4 size strings on it because 3/4 and 4/4 strings'

guages are the same.  I just have to cut the strings a little.

So I think I tried TZigane on it one time.  It sounded

wonderful for a short time and the sound was dead.  I am

looking for a deeper, cello like G and singing, not metalic

sounding E.  I read the thread on Vision Solo.  I'm

wondering if it will work on a 3/4 violin.  His violin's

projection is not bad for it's size, but  it's less than a

full size, of course.  It doesn't have a label, but it's

probably around 70 years old German student violin.  It is a

brighter sounding violin and I want a little more depth in the

sound.  Can anyone recommend any strings?

Yes, the Vision Solo might reach your imagination.although there

are no "cello LIke" G,but it has the most deepest G out of most

synthetic string i have tried.(I have tried nearly all  string

from the majority manufactuer).

This set has a rich,dark,warm and full body sound combining with

great projection and power.and it seem to fits all the different

violins(at least on my collection and on my students

fiddles).definitely worth a try.

Putting a full size string on a 3/4 violin may not cause any

problem in general although the result may not be the optimum.The

good news is the Vision Solo has come from 1/16 to full size.So

don't need to compromise.

Cheers

I'm no expert, but I would say that putting 4/4 strings on a 3/4 would be a poor idea. The strings are designed to work at a set length from the nut to the bridge, since this length will be well short on a 3/4, it will surely mess all the science up??

Ray, where can I get Vision Solo? I've looked for it on Shar, and other online places. All I could find was Vision Titanium Solo which only comes in 4/4 and I've tried Vision which comes in smaller sizes and I didn't see much of a difference from Dominant when I tried it on my son's violin. Technique_doc, I know when I cut the 4/4 strings to fit to a 3/4 violin, I noticed the strings (without colored wrapped part, sorry I don't know what they are called.) came pretty close to the pegs. I wish all the strings came in smaller sizes then we'd have a lot more choices. Right now I put on a set of Dominant. I've ordered a set of Warchol "Amethyst" cause they come in smaller sizes. I'm curious how it will sound on my son's violin. If it doesn't work, I'll try to find Vision Solo if I can find it.

Ask this question and you will get many answeres as to personal preferences.

Here is another!

I have a student using an 1/8 vln which had factory strings on it and it sounded deplorable!

I asked this same question on this forum and took the advice of one responder to try Pirastro "Violino". My students Mother and myself were delighted at the change. The vln still sounds like an 1/8, but is as good as I think I can get.

Even though costly the change was worth every cent spent.

I wish you well.

I have find it available on many German site now,its probably

available widely on U.S soon as well.You may better e-mailing the

U.S. distributor --Connolly & co for information,But their

website seem so outdated.

Ray, thank you for the info. I guess I'm going to wait until it is available here in the U.S. Meanwhile, I just received the Warchol "Amethyst", so I put them on just an hour ago on my son's violin. So far I like the lower strings and less edgy E. Projection wise, it is not much different from Dominant he had on. My son says that Dominant rings more. It may be true. It sounds somewhat tamed than the brightness of Dominant strings. He may like the brightness better, but I like it less brighter since his playing is like a typical 11 year-old boy. I hear him practicing now. I like it.... I can hear his vibrato better. When Vision solo becomes available here, I will definitely try it. I can't wait! Busker, it is so true that the strings can make a big difference. I am in a quest for a perfect match for my son's violin. Hope my wallet will last

While I'm at it. How often should he change his strings? It probably depends on the individual brand and how long you practice, but aside from unraveling of the strings. Should I change periodically? He practices about 4 hours a day. When I change, do you recommend changing all the strings? How long the strings maintain their maximum sound in general?

mommag, has this violin been looked at by a violin maker/violin shop? I am a violin maker and I own a shop in Seattle, WA. Perhaps the violin could benifit from adjustment, a better set-up, repair, or, perhaps, your child has outgrown (tonally) the violin that you have and you simply need a better one!

Yes!It's true! mommag.The Dominant has  richer overtone

than most of its competitor.and still be one the most popular

choice by the top pro. It's work great with another E-sting

(goldbrokat,gold label,jarger ...)especially on a darker sounding

instrument and fine italian violin.

in your case,The sonic life span of the Vision Should be 10-12

weeks. Change all the string are advised,excepting the E-string

.you could replace it every six months.The tin. plated E string

like the Vision are perspire resistance that made them more

durable.

There are many string which has warm sound in one hand,but

lacking power and unresponsive on the other hand.

The Vision solo do it's job greatly regarding different performance

parameter,which I considering it's uniqueness.

Scratchybow, duane88, he had his violin for about a year now. When he got it we had a luthier adjust fingerboard, soundpost and others. A few months ago, there was a luthier visiting the youth orchestra on site offering free adjustment so we had him take a look at his violin and he said everything was in tact. It is true he may be outgrowing his violin tonally, but since he is moving on to a full size sometime in the near future, I don't think I will be able to have him switch to another 3/4 now. Meanwhile, I will take your suggestions into my consideration to try Violino and Vision Solo next time I change his strings. The Amethyst I put on yesterday needs more time to settle. They still go out-of-tune quite a bit.

You really have to work with the sound spectrum your instrument can deliver. I have found that if you are trying to darken the sond of a bright fiddle and use a string (like Tzigane, for example) that may have depth, you may have a terrible result. If the instrument does not respond to the specific string's particular stronger overtones, you will not get what the string can deliver. I wish I knew some way to predict in advance what will work best on a particular instrument. I have about a dozen instruments and find a wide range of different strings is needed to best satisfy them all.

I have found it best to try to get the best sound you can from your instrument - and select the strings accordingly.

If you check out what a good shop like Ifshin's does, you will find that the tended to put Thomastik Dominants on violins with a certain kind of voicing and Pirastro Tonicas other (usually frighter instruments). Once you have determined which of these works best on your instrument, you can try to go further in the same direction. With a sub-size instrument you have a smaller selection of strings than for a full-size.

Andy

Thank you, Andrew for your response. Unfortunately, I don't think I have good enough ear to distinguish "overtones" you mentioned. My son seems to hear it but I don't. I know it's embarassing, but I can tell the difference in tones when I put different strings. I wish I could hear them. Is it what my son call "ringing"?

On another note, finally his new set of strings settled in and so far I like the overall sound. E is beautiful and the choking high notes are gone and lower strings are deeper than Dominant. My son seems to like it, too. I've never tried Pirastro Tonicas before, but how would you describe its difference in tone from Dominant?

Mommag, beside of the string,a good Rosin also play some part to

the sound.and are inexpensive to try out.

Millant-Deroux-Dark and salchow rosin are excellence choice to

bring out a darker and rich tone in my experience.

Thank you Ray for the rosin info. He has Salchow rosin the luthier gave him although he's bee using that discontinued "Tartini" rosin for awhile. I will tell him to try Salchow rosin today. Thanks again.

Hi Mommag

My advise is not to mix the rosin, i.e. changing from one brand to another. You may want to clean the old rosin off from the horsehair before changing the rosin.

I use Obligato (1/2 - 3/4) G, D, and A and the Gold E (4/4 - as there is not Gold 1/2-3/4) on my daughter's 3/4 violin. I use the Andrea Bang's Paganini rosin (which is suppose to be a new Tartini rosin) and the sound is incredible. She just recently played a concerto with an amateur orchestra and her violin could be heard.

You may also want to try Warchal - we used Warchal for her 1/2 violin.

Cheers,

Michael

Michael, thank you for your advice. Yes, I wiped the old rosin from the hair before I put Salchow rosin since Tartini rosin came with an instruction stating you shouldn't mix with other rosin. Salchow seems to make bow hair grab more on the strings. May be it's my imagination? Yes, last week I put on Warchal strings on his violin and so far I like it. The lower strings have more depth and E string less metalic. I used Obligato for his violin in the past. I liked it in the beginning but the sound didn't last very long and it is rather expensive strings to keep changing every month or so. We'll see how long Warchal will retain the sound. Regarding the gold E, I think I put one on awhile ago, but maybe my son sweat more than others, the string changed its color and became almost black. Does discoloration of the string change the tone? What does gold E sound like compare to other E strings, brighter, warmer or something else? When I ordered Warchal, just for the spare, I purchased Goldbrokat E. I haven't opened it yet, but is this a gold E, too? I am going to wait until his E snaps to try it, though.

Yes! the salchow  Rosin are very responsive,and draw a big

full tone! So,how do you like it?

The gold plated E are said to be a warmer tone.But,it depends on

the violins,most players complains its squeak. .The goldbrokat are

the E string i use mostly,This is a outstanding E which Heifetz and

Milstein puts it on their Gurnerius and stradivarius.but this is a

steel E, not gold plated.The only disadvantage are: it turn black

quickly if you sweat a lot!

Hi, Ray, yes, I like Salchow. It gives more solid sound, I think. Thank you for explaining about the Goldbrokat. My son's teacher mentioned once that she used to use Goldbrokat so as some great violinists. We'll see when we put Goldbrokat on my son's violin if it turns black quickly. Luckly Goldbrokat E is not outrageously expensive so I may be able to stock up if it works on his violin

Slightly older thread, but I used Violino strings on the kids' fractionals with good results, though my preference is to get those strings, and others that try to span sizes, e.g., 1/2-3/4, only for the larger of the 2 sizes. We use Dominants elsewhere; they work.

Does anyone else use Concord Music for strings? I got their name from Pirastro some years back when I was looking for a source for fractional Violino strings, and still use them on occasion. I just ordered light Dominants (one of the few places that lets you pick them online) with a Larsen E on Wednesday, and they arrived today. I knew they were closing for 2 weeks so assumed I *might* have them mid-August. $1.50 s/h, too.