Sign in to follow this  
mommag

Old school and New school?

Thank you, T_D and stillnew, for the wonderful comments. I have no doubt that my son has progressed tremendously and is progressing under her guidance. I am not at all convinced by the camp counselor, but a bit offended to tell you the truth. I know things change constantly never staying in one place, but like T_D said the fundamental is the same. Even within the same school, individuals have differences in many ways. For example, my son's teacher has extremely long pinkies where my son's pinkies are extremely short and tips of his fingers are curved toward his ring fingers. So she guides him to push his elbow to the front when he has to play in high position which she doesn't have to. She examines him in detail and comes up with the bowing, etc to make it work for him. Stillnew, I agree with you. I don't think he (camp counselor) knew a lot about old/Russian school to begin with. Well, I don't either, aside from watching my son taking lessons with his teacher. But I just wanted to know what the big differences between two schools are, and this thread helped me tremendously. My son adores his teacher and she loves him like her own son. They have a great rapport. I wouldn't change a thing unless she suggests.

There's a thesis called "The Influence of Violin Schools on Prominent Violinists/Teachers in the United States" available for download here . It's probably more detail than most people would really want to know, but it does discuss the "schools" in detail.