Sign in to follow this  
allegro

Are 2 rehearsals enough?

Hi All

Just a quick question. My 10-year old daughter is playing the Bach A Minor Concerto with an orchestra. So far, we have not had any rehearsal with the orchestra yet. The concertmaster seems to think that 2 rehearsals would be enough. What is your opinion?

Cheers,

Michael

I wouldn't dare try to give a quick answer on this one. Variables to consider:

*familiarity of soloist with the piece

*familiarity of leader with the solo

*consistency of soloist's playing

*consistency of orchestra's playing

*amount of experience soloist has had with orchestral accompaniment

*consistency of signals passed between soloist and leader (you said concertmaster, leaving me to guess there is no conductor)

There's more. Quick question: Who's in charge?

Is this a professional orchestra? A school orchestra? If this is a professional orchestra (or a decent amateur orchestra), one or two rehearsals with the soloist is standard.

Yeap. sounds standard and reasonable.

(Does that include one on the day of the performance?)

But would assume the conductor might also

take your daughter aside

and go through a few things together as well?

My daughter is 12 and just beginning the Bach A minor 1st mvmt. Your daughter must be doing well - congrats to her and to her parents!

If she is a strong solid player and musician then all should go well even during the first rehearsal unless there is a deficiency in other places. I would just let it happen and support her.

Are you nervous?

quote:

Originally posted by:
Erika

Is this a professional orchestra? A school orchestra? If this is a professional orchestra (or a decent amateur orchestra), one or two rehearsals with the soloist is standard.

It is a newly set up orchestra for musicians between 18 and 35 - I would consider that a decent amateur orchestra.

quote:

Originally posted by:
bapiano

My daughter is 12 and just beginning the Bach A minor 1st mvmt. Your daughter must be doing well - congrats to her and to her parents!

If she is a strong solid player and musician then all should go well even during the first rehearsal unless there is a deficiency in other places. I would just let it happen and support her.

Are you nervous?

Thanks, Bapiano. I am not nervous as she has done a fair bit of solo performances although this is the dirst time with an orchestra. Just do not know what to expect, that's all.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Marie Brown

I wouldn't dare try to give a quick answer on this one. Variables to consider:

*familiarity of soloist with the piece

*familiarity of leader with the solo

*consistency of soloist's playing

*consistency of orchestra's playing

*amount of experience soloist has had with orchestral accompaniment

*consistency of signals passed between soloist and leader (you said concertmaster, leaving me to guess there is no conductor)

There's more. Quick question: Who's in charge?

There is actually a conductor but the contact we have had so far was with the concertmaster. I think the conductor must be in charge - we are going to meet him next week.

My daughter is pretty familiar with the concerto and I have made her play with the CD of the concerto the last one week and she is familiar with the orchestra. She has no experience playing as a soloist with an orchestra - this is the very first time. She has performed solo many times with a piano accompanist.

Any tips for a first timer. Marie?

She may need to increase her volume throughout the piece when playing with orchestra and to a larger room. The fact that what used to be mp might now be inaudible can be a bit disconcerting to a young concerto player.

Thanks, Bapiano. We will know how she sounds like tomorrow night with the orchestra. Keeping my fingers cross. By the way, she is also using a 3/4 size violin. Michael

The fact that your daughter is playing the Bach a minor with an orchestra at the age of ten suggests that she already has quite a lot going for her, including some excellent teachers. My personal experience includes exactly one aspect of this scene: once I was ten years old and wondered what all that sweat on the school piano was about. I bow to the judgment of good listeners who are present at the first rehearsal. Congratulations to all of you.

Congratulations to your daughter's accomplishment! When my son performed with the local orchestra a couple of years ago, they ran through only twice hours before the concert, too. They were professional players, so it was more like how to adjust tempo and volume to my son's playing. He did just fine. I'm sure your daughter will be fine. I think parents are more nervous than the children who are performing I also think the fact she performed with a piano many a times will help a lot. Let us know how it went!

The first rehearsal was held on Tuesday night - interesting because half the orchestra did not come, We had the conductor conducting, concertmaster and a flutist on violin 1 part and two violin 2. Luckily I brought the piano parts and there was another flautist who sight read the piano parts brilliantly. It went well. She played through it twice with them. There will be a full orchestra next week. Till then..........

Cheers,

Michael

Sound like that might have been an extra rehearsal thrown in for your daughter's benefit. It's very unusual to have an orchestra rehearsal with a soloist that far in advance, and never with just part of the orchestra. Have fun with the performance -- I'm sure she'll be terrific!

That's it, she did it today and it went really well. She had two rehearsals with the orchestra and one run through an hour before the concert. It was some experience for all of us. The orchestra has never played with a 10-year old and she has never played solo with an orchestra. No one knew what to expect but the end results was fantastic. The conductor said that he would like to work with my daughter again.

Cheers,

Michael

quote:

Originally posted by:
allegro

The conductor said that he would like to work with my daughter again.

Congratulations! That is the best compliment you can get.