Maestronet Forums

Shipping damages

shsu

The buyer in Korea sent me an e-mail saying that the repaired violin I sold him has problems. It shows bubbling, smelly and sticky varnish overall and the neck/fingerboard is crooked to the side.

Everything is fine before I airmailed it. I am asking for photos and might post them here later.

What could be the cause? Heat damage? Anything else?

Insist on photos and insurance. My guess is the Korean Customs Service was the culprit, maybe they micro waved it or steamed it. The Customs Service in Korea are very hands on and generate alot of complaints. Always get your export sales fully insured and declare the full value with US Customs. Always do the right thing and close your ears to the complaints of your foriegn buyer about import tax issues.

This sounds more like a scam to me now.

I asked the buyer to bring the violin and packaging to Korean post office for damage report/insurance claim. Guest what?

He said that violin was brought to violin shop for examination and "repaired" without his authorization. So it's might be hard to show to prove damage now.

It's amazing that he can take photos, visit violin shop and have it repaired in one day. So efficient!!

Now I am in a mess. What can I do on this Ebay transaction?

The insurance claim was rejected after inspection.

Now the buyer wants me to be liable (partial or full, don't know yet) for cost of repair which, I don't know, is indeed needed or not.

What you recommend as an Ebayer?

Buyer already gave me a positive feedback after violin was mailed out.

If it was repaired without his authorization, he needs to keep his quarrel with the shop that did the work without asking him.

I feel that your liability in this situation has ended. I would chalk it up to "one of those customers" and move on.

It's great that you are concerned, though. You must be one of the good guys on ebay

quote:

Originally posted by:
C.B.Fiddler

If it was repaired without his authorization, he needs to keep his quarrel with the shop that did the work without asking him.

I feel that your liability in this situation has ended. I would chalk it up to "one of those customers" and move on.

I agree, plus you really have nothing to loose as you already got your positive feedback.