Workbench complete!

I figured I would just seal and stain it. My dad has a workbench that used for many years in his shop an I know - from working at his - that mine won't stay pretty for long. I just want to make sure that it is safe from spills and such.

I not sure what the real benefit to using a coat polyurethane after sealing and staining.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

Originally posted by:
C.B.Fiddler

I am going to use a sealer/stain on the workbench to finish it out - any warnings or suggestions there?

I use pretty much the same thing on all my work surfaces. Boiled linseed oil... several wiped on coats. Holds up nicely, but does get a little darker over time (which I like).

quote:

Originally posted by:
C.B.Fiddler

Wow! thanks for all the advice! I went to home depot and looked at the masonry screws and read the package (yes, I read instructions
) and sure enough - it reads in big letters "USE A HAMMER DRILL."

Chris

I did this without a hammer drill. Your photos show cinder blocks like my basement walls which are soft. All you need is a drill! This is not rocket science. Avoid the concrete, however.

Ok, I decided to use the stain that I had and the bench is now sealed and stained with 2 coats and ready to be fastened to the wall.

Let me know what you think!

I really appreciate all the advise and suggestions everyone offered.

Thanks again!

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by:
Ed_Shillitoe

It looks too good to be a workbench! Put it in your dining room and use it for hosting wine and cheese parties!

Ed

Thanks! It's funny what stain will do - it really went from a workbench to a dining table didn't it? Oh well, I'm sure I will inflict plenty of personality on it soon enough!

Hey C.B. bench looks great, but I`m curious what the flooring is in

that room. I cant tell from pictures but if its coloured concrete

you might want to think about laying down some plywood to save the

tools/parts that will fall from the bench.[they will].

If its carpet, well, you`ll have lots of fun keeping it clean.

Hi Darren,

It's carpet. On the opposite wall is a wet/dry vac that I have to use everytime I'm done (and mid-way most of the time.) I do all heavy dust making processes in the garage and return this room for the lighter duty stuff. thanks for the insight!

Thanks for the kind words, Edi. I think I'm going to go home and beat it with a lead pipe just to get rid of "first ding" anticipation.

OK! The bench is finished - fastened to the wall with Buildex Tapcon masonry screws. I was able to do it pretty easily with a regular cordless drill, but - I didn't have to drill that far into it because I ended up mounting a 1x4 to the wall and then screwing the bench to the 1x4 (the room is carpeted and has floor molding - so I needed to space the bench far enough from the wall to clear the spike strip and molding to keep it level.) I then mounted the infamous pegboard and started hanging the tools I was schlepping around in an old toolbox.

I have a 2x4 light box coming to install in the suspended ceiling above the table (even thought the clamp on drop light hanging above is awfully attractive )

Let me know what you think - or if there are any suggestions!

Chris

Looks nice. But I wouldn't feel comfortable without an end of the bench free, with a vice for holding stuff for sawing and drilling. I'm right-handed, so I'd move the table thing at the left and slide the bench along a couple of feet.

If you're worried about chiselling into the surface of the bench, get a big hunk of hardwood and bolt it along the front of the bench. When you've ruined it by drilling and cutting and chiselling, turn it around and use the other side. And so on.

Once I had a work bench in the basement of my previous house. It was made of 2 by 4 put

together. I used hammer, torch, circular saws , paint, etc. when I worked on my projects. Finish of the

bench was the least of my concern. Burn marks and paint marks were everywhere.

Fire and toxic fumes were most my concerns.

Thanks Matthew,

There is a lot of "extra" stuff in the other corner of the same wall that needs to be sorted and relocated tot he attic. When that is done, the table next to the Workbench will go there. I have an area in my garage where I do the heavy duty sawing and such. Because this is a carpeted bedroom, I'll limit the my work in here to the more light duty stuff.

I did find a 6" clamp on workbench vise at Rockler that I'll add to the left side of the table.

Yuen,

The finish of the table was (and is) unimportant. The goal was to seal the wood and protect it from spills and such. The nice color was just a bonus. I know that each file mark will expose white wood beneath and that the bench will get beaten and used - that's what I made it for! (I'm actually looking forward to it!) Afterall, the top is Birch ply - not solid birch, so it's not as fancy as it looks!

I have worked on a bench made of 2x4's and have been frustrated with small things getting stuck between the boards. 2x4's are also predominantly pine - a softwood, that doesn't wear well or retain a nice flat surface for very long.

Thanks, everyone for the suggestions and the nice comments!

Chris

• 11 months later...
Hello all,

<BR>

<BR>I just thought I'd show some pics of the workbench I made this weekend. I am thrilled with it so far. It's 6 ft x 2.5 ft x 30 inches - Pine frame and edge molding with a Birch top. Took me two lazy days and less than $70 U.S. (and I splurged on the birch top.)

<BR>

<BR>I am going to seal it and stain it this week - can't wait to put it to use!

Hello,

Are the pics still available?

Hello all,

<BR>

<BR>I just thought I'd show some pics of the workbench I made this weekend. I am thrilled with it so far. It's 6 ft x 2.5 ft x 30 inches - Pine frame and edge molding with a Birch top. Took me two lazy days and less than $70 U.S. (and I splurged on the birch top.)

<BR>

<BR>I am going to seal it and stain it this week - can't wait to put it to use!

How does one open the pictures which the members submit. I don't have any links for the workbench pictures. Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks