Tecchler cello (?)

pasman

What does it mean to "enlarge" a cello? Building up the ribs makes sense -- I have a violin like that. But how would one enlarge the top and bottom plates w/out creating something very freaky looking? Or maybe that's what was done to this "Tecchler" -- adding wood around the original edge. (Difficult to see in those photos.)

Richard the Tecchler?? has been enlarged round the outer edges of both the top and bottom bouts.If you look at the back picture you can see a curved line around an inch in at each side and tapering out to nothing near the corner and very bottom and top). So as Andrew as pointed out ,its either been enlarged from a model that was narrow across the top and lower bouts,or its been cut down too much and then enlarged again.

Its not an easy process to do (involving feathered grafts and in some cases keeping the original edges(or as much as they can)and is probably at the top level of a repairers work,to do it well.

Many large viols have had a similar thing done to them,to turn then into cellos or even violins/violas(smaller viols).

What an extraordinary amount of work. Presumably the rib cage is enlarged, too. Hard to imagine anyone doing a neat job of it, especially with the purfling left high and dry a half inch from the edge. Maybe that's how double purfling got it's start.

Um, I'm certainly no expert, but comparing your photos with those of several bona fide Tecchler cellos, yours doesn't appear even vaguely similar in form. Yours has a totally different (and much more crude) scroll, very different varnish, very different button, and is generally more crudely made. Of course, it could be the others are all incorrect....

"I'm living in Russia and we absolutely haven't ANY serious or even non-serious experts here."

That's very interesting, Boris. I would think that Russia, with so many great violin and cello players and such important music schools, would have top experts. I guess we can't blame the Communists. Even going back before the Revolution, Russia has not produced any great violin makers. Am I wrong? (Sorry I can't comment on your cello. I'm not an expert in any country.)

quote:

Originally posted by:
Richf

"I'm living in Russia and we absolutely haven't ANY serious or even non-serious experts here."

That's very interesting, Boris. I would think that Russia, with so many great violin and cello players and such important music schools, would have top experts. I guess we can't blame the Communists. Even going back before the Revolution, Russia has not produced any great violin makers. Am I wrong? (Sorry I can't comment on your cello. I'm not an expert in any country.)

Dear Richf,

I think that reason for that absence of experts were position of Soviet goverment, all that Iron curtain stuff. For example - even now we can't ("legally") move our instrument and sell it abroad. About violin makers - I don't know it either, only few good - Leman, I have seen some nice instruments by Podgorny. Bowmaker Kittel of course.