Maestronet Forums

Undocumented American violinmakers

GMM22

11 minutes ago, jacobsaunders said:

I  replied exactly to your question about the foreword:

Should Mr. Wenberg (or his new name) aspire for some future person to continue his work, that would be the exact reason why he should have published his sources, since the next person will now have to start at Adam and Eve.

Re. Austro Hungarian Empire, I would refer you to the works of Dr. Hopfner, or the Österreichische Musiklexicon

That's exactly the point. The next person does not need to drive around in a VW bus to collect information of 85 percent what is written in the book. 

You can add under each article on a maker which hadn't any entry in any other work 'interview' (or 'FB' as did Drescher) but this won't change anything in the contents.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

That's exactly the point. The next person does not need to drive around in a VW bus to collect information of 85 percent what is written in the book. 

You can add under each article on a maker which hadn't any entry in any other work 'interview' (or 'FB' as did Drescher) but this won't change anything in the contents.

exept that no-one can check if the author was correct, if he had first hand information, or if it was some gossip, or if more Information is availiable. A bit like Russiagate, just repeat some crap a million times until it becomes true.

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

exept that no-one can check if the author was correct, if he had first hand information, or if it was some gossip, or if more Information is availiable. A bit like Russiagate, just repeat some crap a million times until it becomes true.

Please no comparisons to politics where lying seems to be the norm. 

1 hour ago, jacobsaunders said:

Those danged Russians! ;)

When I was in Russia, my wife and I had no sense of being monitored whatsoever. Moscow wasn't much different than any other large European city we have visited.

Beijing, on the other hand, was quite a different experience.

One example: After being there for maybe three days, when I first logged onto the internet, a couple of women showed up at my door within maybe three minutes,  inquiring whether I needed any help with the internet.

I'm not saying that this is right or wrong, just sharing some of my experiences.

25 minutes ago, Andreas Preuss said:

Please no comparisons to politics where lying seems to be the norm. 

For those not being familiar with European small politics, the Austrians reenacted it much more convincing as "Ibizagate", so it must have been somehow impressive. Though involving an actress (casted as "niece of a Russian billionaire"), alcohol and other unknown substances, the effect was so overwhelming that they got their first Lady Chancellor in the end.

Hello Tom, and welcome.

To my colleagues here, I remember two portions of Tom's research trips, about two years apart. The first in Chicago, where he was very thorough collecting names, and following through with phone calls. Does anyone remember the days of the early answering machines? He called and set up visits with everyone he could. Later, when I had moved to Massachusetts to teach at North Bennet Street School, he came through again. That time he "home-based" from my place in Lexington, and took in a lot of New England that way. It was a labor of love for him. Endless hours of tracking people and leads down in the years before homes mostly had computers. It was hard work!!!

I have annotated my copy of The Wenberg Book over the years, and it is willed to Jeffrey Holmes upon my departure from this planet. He may use the information for his own amusement, profit, or hush money.

Marilyn Wallin

Lincoln, Nebraska

22 minutes ago, Marilyn Wallin said:

Hello Tom, and welcome.

To my colleagues here, I remember two portions of Tom's research trips, about two years apart. The first in Chicago, where he was very thorough collecting names, and following through with phone calls. Does anyone remember the days of the early answering machines? He called and set up visits with everyone he could. Later, when I had moved to Massachusetts to teach at North Bennet Street School, he came through again. That time he "home-based" from my place in Lexington, and took in a lot of New England that way. It was a labor of love for him. Endless hours of tracking people and leads down in the years before homes mostly had computers. It was hard work!!!

I have annotated my copy of The Wenberg Book over the years, and it is willed to Jeffrey Holmes upon my departure from this planet. He may use the information for his own amusement, profit, or hush money.

Marilyn Wallin

Lincoln, Nebraska

He, he, he.... :ph34r:

4 hours ago, David Burgess said:

I can't completely rule that out. After all, I'm just a fiddlemaker, and have never been a CIA agent or somethin'.

Might be better to ask someone like Violadamore about stuff like that.

I do not recall...........  :P

4 hours ago, Blank face said:

For those not being familiar with European small politics, the Austrians reenacted it much more convincing as "Ibizagate", so it must have been somehow impressive. Though involving an actress (casted as "niece of a Russian billionaire"), alcohol and other unknown substances, the effect was so overwhelming that they got their first Lady Chancellor in the end.

I'm certain that Andreas, being where he is, has some slight acquaintance with colorful political entertainment.  :lol:

10 hours ago, Violadamore said:

I'm certain that Andreas, being where he is, has some slight acquaintance with colorful political entertainment. 

It might tell us that it's usually not about who's lying and what's true. It can be easy to seperate this, but success doesn't follow automatically the truth, not even in violin business, probably more often the opposite. B)