Maestronet Forums

Please see threads in PRIVATE TOPICS forum.

choo-choo plane

I have started a thread in the Private Topics forum. It is an

opportunity for us all to introduce ourselves as PEOPLE and get to

know each other better!

Have a great day.

André.

PS: Please reply to this post with just a word or whatever, just to

prevent this thread from slipping down the page and getting lost

under all the inactive threads. Just for a few days.  Thank

you!!

There's something there, but it's weird. There's a link in the upper right called "rss feed". I clicked on it, and got an XML representation of some threads (XML is a markup language - Extensible Markup Language, of which HTML is a subset). So there is something there, but there is some setting there that's different. Not sure what, tho. Mods?

Interesting..... It shows that already 14 people have "viewed" the

thread in the Private Topics forum. So people are managing to see

it somehow..... If you have done so, do you think you could please

explain to everyone else how you go in?

I do hope this ends up working for everyone. I already wrote about

myself there and also prepared a seperate thread specifically for

us to put photos of our work and so on....

I hope someone comes to the rescue soon....

Each user has a private forum.

You create a new topic.

You invite people to read/join the topic.

It is NOT forum wide. It cannot be used for all of us to go in and chat "privately" unless some creates a topic and invites every Mnet user.

It is not intended for this purpose. It is intended for informal and small discussions initiated by one user who invites the other participants.

I think that's probably not something you should do - it might cause problems on the forum. I don't know for sure, but if it's not intended for that purpose, it probably shouldn't be used for that. It is too bad we don't have something like a "soapbox" forum here, but I can readily understand why not - a recent thread on a highly political topic was a perfect example. Not sure if the management would allow a thread like that in the Pegbox, but I bet not - it'd be pretty much OT. Meanwhile, I think we do a pretty good job in normal conversation of getting to know one another, and PM provides a better way also - I've met several real friends here so far, and I haven't even been here very long! In time, I might learn quite a bit about them, and they me, interest allowing...

Tim, I agree that one should NOT use the Private Forum feature for a purpose not intended by the design of the software. I agree that inviting everyone there would be the same as establishing a "soapbox."

There was once a soapbox forum. And it was closed. It was closed for a very good reason (in my opinion). And that reason can be gleaned by examining some of the recent clashes of personality and politics. It got pretty ugly and the administration, rightly, felt there were other places for members to participate in such forums and that this forum should be kept, as far as possible, on topic. And relatively -- relative to the Web norm -- civil.

Hi there,

I suspect that sometimes it might be a good thing to be able to discuss lutherie in peace and quiet with someone without going into her or his opinions on politics, food, religion, gardening and so forth. It is usually beneficial "at work" to stay on the topic. On the other hand, you get curious sometimes to know what the people on the other side of cyberspace are like of course!

Especially so on a rather confined subject like this where most of the people participating seem to be "stayers" and aren't too many all in all either. But then there are plenty of ways to contact people directly; PM's, e-mail, skype, and so forth. The violin making world is quite small, and one day you might easily meet, or have already met someone on this forum, in private or in business, and I beleive that is one of the things that keep the tone on this forum very good, generally.

With a "soapbox" forum active, it would easily become the most active forum, and maybe dictate the mood in all the other ones... So in the first place it might enhance the forum as a social thing, but in the long run it might deteriorate the discussions on the subject of musical instruments?

If you so very much want to discuss an off-topic issue, find or create a suitable forum of your own and put the link in your profile or with some sort of invitation in your signature. Perhaps check with Jeffrey to be sure that's ok.

I'm sure there are forums for people to discuss politics, religion, mud-wrestling, you name it.

Dear Andres Sender,

I have to say that although you might not have meant to be

offensive, I am offended by your post.

I spent quite a bit of time last night setting up 2 threads in the

Private Topics forum, specifically for everyone's benefit, not for

my own. One thread was to discus our history of how we came to

start making violins, a bit about our violin making philosophy, and

perhaps other things that we make. The second thread was set up

specifically for everyone to post photos of their work. The reason

for separating the text-based thread from the photo-based

thread was to keep the text-based thread fast-loading.

Furthermore I had absolutely NO intention of the thread being used

to discuss "politics, religion, or mud-wrestling" as you suggested.

The threads were intended purely for everyone here to get to have a

bit of background about each other's violin-making. It was not even

envisaged to be a discussion at all. I imagined we would each write

1 post, and the thread would thus become a little collection of our

backgrounds biographical and luthierie.

The reason I set it up in the Private Topics forum and not the

Pegbox was because I understand that the Pegbox is intended only as

a forum for discussing the technical side of making.

I have no interest in other people's religious/political/personal

beliefs. Not in this forum anyway.

I think I'll go and delete the threads I created yesterday.

quote:

Originally posted by:
magnus nedregard
...But then there are plenty of ways to contact people directly; PM's, e-mail, skype, and so forth...

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the chat server. There's a button at the top. I've gone there a few times, but there's never anyone there. Does anyone ever set up a time for a chat? Does that feature even work? Seems to me a live chat could be really interesting...

There is no reason to post photos of work in a private forum. Look how this has been handled in previous threads. There are photo threads on work spaces and on work benches.

Lots of people have posted their work. Most recently Melving.

As for threads introducing ourselves -- that too was done, long ago, in the Fingerboard. I'll see if I can find it and bump it back into visibility.

quote:

Originally posted by:
choo-choo plane

I spent quite a bit of time last night setting up 2 threads in the

Private Topics forum, specifically for everyone's benefit, not for

my own. One thread was to discus our history of how we came to

start making violins, a bit about our violin making philosophy, and

perhaps other things that we make. The second thread was set up

specifically for everyone to post photos of their work. The reason

for separating the text-based thread from the photo-based

thread was to keep the text-based thread fast-loading.

I've only been able to view one thread in the private topics area... one that I was sent a link to by Dean. I can't seem to see yours, Choo-choo... Maybe one has to be invited with a link?? Not sure. I moderate here, but am completely clueless when it comes to the software...