Sign in to follow this  
Fellow

Can't do Brahm's violin concerto.

Hi all,

I am a bad player with too ambitious mind. One day I want to be able to play Brahm's

famous piece. If you have watched the movie " Camilla" DVD. You would know what I meant.

I finally found a piece I can play "Hungarian Dance # 20" WOW,it is so good and easy.

Bad player can make it sound decent. I am very happy. Love to hear what you have to say.

There are a lot of things us duffers can play. Fiddle music is usually but not always accessible. The American String Teachers Association (ASTA) ratings are useful when they are shown in sheet music catalogs. I can play things at ASTA level 4 or less and some things at ASTA level 5. The Brahms Concerto is ASTA level 6, the top level, and there is no sense in my even looking at it. If you stay within the limitations of your technical capabilities, it's a matter of your willingness to practice enough to learn how to play something that you would like to play and work it up to a reasonable level.

Is there a link to this list?

Is paganini caprices less than the highest? If not, how about

Mozarts violin concerto no 4? Or Beethoven"s, or mendleson"s? Is

spring sonata that easy to play properly?

Oh! what am I talking about? Of COURSE spring sonata of beethoven

is easy!

Hello Yuen, I would simply say, don't limit yourself. The Brahms violin concerto to me is the most heavenly thing ever written for the violin. Hearing it one day is what caused me to take up the violin again at age 56, after having played as a youngster (middle school) As my teacher told me, all any piece really is, when you break it down, is essentially the scales, oftentimes played quickly, and in the higher positions,and yes, oversimplification though this may be, if you work diligently on the scales, making friends with them, not only not fearing them, but eagerly looking forward to learning them, of course working on sight reading as well,you can then begin to take even the Brahms concerto apart, piece by piece, one measure at a time, working with a tape recorder if you wish. I can now play about the first two pages of this concerto (International version) and I will ultimately learn it all. It's such a joy! Also, I would suggest, try not to refer to yourself as a bad violinist.... I mean, it's all relative, isn't it? I was fortunate to hear Hilary Hahn play the Sibelius here at the Tucson Music Hall recently, and was just so blown away their aren't even any words for it...the best I can do is, Absolute Heavenly Perfection. And I remember thinking, wow, no matter what I do, I will never even get close to that. Not even close. But then, almost just as quickly, I remember saying to myself, you know what? You don't need to get close to that; just do the best you can, love doing it, and everything will come out great! So all the best to you, my friend, and I do think you've got it in you to do this! Gary

Yuen, I think you're in good company in finding it difficulty - the work was regarded as unplayable at the time of it's composition - and he received a lot of editorial help from Joachim, if I recall.

Hey Yuen --- don't give up on Brahms (or any other piece). As someone who first picked up a violin at age 46, I won't ever be playing at Carnegie Hall --- but So What? If we only play selections we are capable of playing we will never advance, right? So I decided to try everything --- taking lessons from an understanding and very adept player I began collecting sheet music and trying all the great concertoes. Can I play them? --- yes. Can I play them at the correct tempo? --- no. Is my intonation perfect? --- no. Do I sound like the CD's? --- no. Does it matter? --- no. So do I enjoy it? --- absolutely. Instead of letting this be a frustration I have concluded that with each piece I attempt I learn something and become a little better.

quote:

Originally posted by:
matzstudio

quote:

Originally posted by:
nickia
Is Brahm something that is unplayable for some people even though they practiced enough? Thanks!

in short: yes.

So does that mean people must start at X age in order to be able to play certain pieces?

When I was in high school I fell in love with the Brahms Violin Concerto. I brought the music to my lesson one day and my teacher told me, angrily to put it away, that I wouldn't be ready to play it for a long time. So I proceeded to practice it without his help. For months and months I practiced it (or perhaps it would be better to say I messed around with it.) The experience inspired me, it made me grow as a violinist and a musician, and it probably contributed to my decision to become a professional violinist. Was I "ready" to tackle it -- Whatever that means? I don't know. Did I "do it justice?" Of course not. Would I advise somebody else to do the same? ABSOLUTELY !!

About five years later I played the first movement for my jury at the New England Conservatory. About ten years later I finally performed the whole concerto with orchestra. Did I "do it justice?" Was I "ready?"

I know I would play it a lot better today. But I may never have the opportunity. I sure am glad I got to perform it when I did. And I still love to get it out and mess around with it from time to time.

So, go get the music and play, practice, enjoy, grow, get what you can out of it. It belongs to all of us. That includes you.