a clear case of fraud.

I would also try sending the original auction's url to the various

bidders.  I would myslef, except I don't speak German. (or

whatever language that is)

The unabashed gall of that seller is quite stunning.  Fiddlin'

Ben must give up his crown.

Since geigen's link takes you to German Ebay...just take the item

number off of the page, go to regular old Ebay.com and look for

that item by number, and the page will come up in English.

E.

P.S. Good Eye geigen !!!

I reported it this morning. This type of scam is pretty common. I notice that a lot of these people cover their tracks by using different names to buy and sell, I imagine this fraudster will change his name and pop up again. I suppose one of the drivers might be the increase in value for well made early American fiddles. I bid on one, which may or may not have been genuine, at the price I was bidding it didn't make much difference, but it went way up and I let it go.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Allan Speers
I would also try sending the original auction's url to the various bidders.

i had the same idea, but just realized it´s unfortunately not possible since the bidding is anonymous, thanks to eBay´s new policy to "protect" bidders. bah.

I spent about 15 - 20 minutes making visual comparisons. What you all pointed out is amazing to me. I looked at grain patterns, nicks, stain patterns, and wood flaws. As you all state, it is the same violin.

WS, I think you missed the "my" in the thread's title. In other words, I'm pretty sure that Ann, the original poster, was the seller in the first link.

Neil

earlier today i asked this seller wath he thinks of the relevance of the label (bearing in mind he must have put it in the violin himself). he answered: "Hi, I have no idea if it is authentic or not. I'm sure no expert on violin origins. I just play them, and know a good one when I see it. I couldn't find anything on the maker on the internet. Thanks! Scotty"

quote:

Originally posted by:
geigen

Hi all,

I didn't know it was so easy to become an american.

Can the average bidder make out it is the same violin? Check for example sideviews of the scroll. I guess this is a typical example of how eBay works in many (most) cases. Grrrr....

Anne, I've never sold anything on ebay, so the fees might make this idea not worthwhile: could you put up another copy of your original advert with a pointer to this fake one, making it clear that you are not actually offering the fiddle for sale at this point but only pointing out the chicanery of this current seller? A good title might be "NOT a Fine Old American Violin"

What do you think?

Hi geigen,

How did you happen to notice that!!!! You must have a photographic memory.

I had "ingbergers" in my favorite sellers on My eBay. Not that long ago I went to look at his listings and it said no longer a registered member. I was surprised to see him up again.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by:
alittlebettereveryday
...old "scotty" has been a topic of discussion before:

that´s a very interesting link, and it shows much of eBay´s "standards". however, there are still good sellers out there, but it gets harder and harder for them to be recognized amongst all the BSitters and appreciated for what they are and what they do.

Dan, Neil,

Scotty bought the violin from us (the original seller ingbergers). When I went to check his listings I was surprised to find my violin on auction with a new fresh american label! Regarding the unfortunate temporary account suspension, there seemed to be a billing problem with eBay and they were pretty fast blocking ingbergers access to eBay. Sorry for that! It was a mess!

bean_fidhleir,

quote:

Anne, I've never sold anything on ebay, so the fees might make this idea not worthwhile: could you put up another copy of your original advert with a pointer to this fake one, making it clear that you are not actually offering the fiddle for sale at this point but only pointing out the chicanery of this current seller? A good title might be "NOT a Fine Old American Violin"

.. very good idea - but I would have to do this for hundreds of listings. Where shall I start? I know this has been discussed several times, but I still don't get how these crooks get positive feedback :-)

The thing to do, I think, would be to do is to "buy" the item, then refuse to pay based on fraud, and post that in his feedback, with links to the original. It would be worth doing this from a separate new account so he couldn't retaliate, too.

The label is most confusing part of the violin. It is "too good to be true"

I believe in it only for 5 min. I no longer believe it.

it is too shiny to be 100 years old.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Michael Darnton

The thing to do, I think, would be to do is to "buy" the item, then refuse to pay based on fraud, and post that in his feedback, with links to the original. It would be worth doing this from a separate new account so he couldn't retaliate, too.

Michael, that sounds like a MUCH better idea than the one I had!

I remember selling an unlabeled violin on ebay a few years ago for about $1,100 only to see it resold on ebay six months later with a new faux Italian label and sell for $10,000. That seller did something unethical. But I didn't report him. Who am I to judge him? All of us are works in progress and all of us have crossed that line which we know to be unethical, immoral and cruel. I think our concerns should lie with our own actions; So, Scotty made $1065 out of your unlabelled Markneukirchen violin by the deceit of Scotty. This is his dilemma, not yours. Your concern is your transaction which clearly was transacted in a laudable fashion.

Perhaps true, Priya. Why do I care at all? Probably because it was my violin. I'm involved in a way. He will perhaps continue for some years but sooner or later he will get unmasked by a knowledgeable buyer. Also, if we try to stop this guys business, there are immediately tens new ones of these crooks popping up. They smell easy money. I'm just sorry for these hundreds of buyers believing in their purchases...