Sign in to follow this  
nickia

Can this guy be qualified as a full time private teacher?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCKGTta7E8w

I found this guy on youtube while searching for other videos. Do you think he's qualified as a full time teacher? He has a website and he claims he's a full time teacher in Hong Kong and charges about $45 USD/Hour for the most advanced student.

You may also want to check out his Schindler's List:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZuDE2u1_xF8

Personally I don't think he's qualified as a teacher

What's your thought?

BTW his playing gives a feeling that resemble beginners' (including mine), would you attribute that to poor intonation? Will this problem be eventually conquered? Whenever I listen to advanced players, they never sounded rigid.

Well........ I watched it and heard it.

I can forgive a lot, use of only half the bow, dodgy intonation, a few mistakes....

but it is fairly 'uninspired' soul-less playing.

I don't hear any attempt to make sense of the phrasing

or any variety of dynamics or color.

I certainly wouldn't be putting it out there

for all and sundry to see if it were my best effort.

If he were my student the first thing I would suggest

is that the music needs to breathe,

not just churn away thoughtlessly.

the guy plays like a robot, not like a human - 100% mechanical. he has no clue of what he is supposed to be doing. no timing, no phrasing, no music, no nothing.

Good or bad, his guy shows you his stuff. Some teachers I had never bothered to play.

They only listened me played. He checked on my dynamics. They all have master degrees

in music.

It would be unfair to expect that teachers should be able to perform like professional players. In fact, a few otherwise excellent violin professors that I know of happen to be so-so when it comes to playing. Nevertheless, I don't know what to make with this video.... He might possess great teaching skills... but if your playing were not one of your strengths, then why would you want to "advertise" it to the world?

quote:

Originally posted by:
ymkim

It would be unfair to expect that teachers should be able to perform like professional players. In fact, a few otherwise excellent violin professors that I know of happen to be so-so when it comes to playing. Nevertheless, I don't know what to make with this video.... He might possess great teaching skills... but if your playing were not one of your strengths, then why would you want to "advertise" it to the world?

I don't expect a teacher to sound like a top-notch pro but this person really sounds like a beginner-intermediate player.

and isn´t it a good thing if as a teacher you can be a good example for your students, so they want to be able to play and sound like you? but who wants to play and sound like him?

quote:

Originally posted by:
ymkim

I agree with you. My daughter's violin teacher was a professional double bass player (when she was still in the States) but she studied violin paedegogy at university. She now teaches violin full time (since she moved to Australia) and her students are very well trained.

However, I am not defending this guy. His playing is simply "dreadful".

Cheers,

Allegro

To answer Nickia's question...

NO.

To be an adequete teacher one would at least have to know how to play the violin correctly. That doesn't mean that one has to perform as a top-tier soloist...but one should possess the practical knowledge.

Take Galamian for example. or DeLay.

That said, this guy has several critical flaws when it comes to classical violin technique.

Right Hand:

He moves the bow from the elbow joint and not the shoulder...and he suffers from an active "floppy wrist" syndrome. As a result his bowing is small and labored....the bow wavers from bridge to fingerboard with no regard to sounding point...and it tilts back and forth (due to floppy wrist-itis).

He has no clue in regards to proper weight-transfer into the bow. As a result his elbow is fixed in one location for all the strings. No weight transfer means he then has to actively PRESS with his hand into the string...which results in the squeezed sound.

Left Hand:

Now where he needs the delicate action of the smaller joints...he instead uses his entire stiff arm for vibrato. So it sounds funny in a bad way. And it's only used on a note every so often. Plus the wrist often bends OUTWARDS which further locks the entire arm.

There is so much pressure in the fingers that even if he caught his intonation errors, there's no chance in correcting them because there is no suppleness to adjust the fingers ever so slightly. And there is very little usage of a left hand frame position...which causes further intonation errors....

And I'm only getting started after watching the first couple seconds...

Bah.

As a teacher, I feel really strongly that I should be able to play well and model good technique and musicianship for my students., and to that end I still practice and perform and record. Granted, I often may not sound great when I grab a violin to demonstrate something for a student - very often those are my first notes in a hectic day and I'm trying to prove a certain point rather than give a polished performance. But I'm not recording those impromptu demonstrations and putting them on the internet for all to see!

A pedophile? That's a loaded term.... A few photos shown there might raise people's eyebrows, especially from a Westerner's point of view. But people over there believe that folks like Mary Kay Letourneau exist only in America (or France to be fair). Factual or not, I guess such "intimate" poses are allowed or even acceptable without much suspicion over there.

His bio (written in Chinese, translated by Babelfish) indicates that he was trained at and certified from a conservatory, and currently participating in SAR Philharmonic... By the way, the background music of his website sounds simple but lovely. No way that was his playing. Another cardinal mistake made by him?

Here's his website: http://www.anthony-fung.com/

Many of my former teachers were once good players. Now they may not be able to play that well.

Without a lot of time set for daily practice, teachers, too will fall behind.

He should be paid mainly according to his care and devotion to his

non-advanced students. It should not come to more than $15 (between

$5-$15) for a 50 minute lesson, (unless he travels to them).

He seems to know enough basics (to teach beginners), if he has

other teaching qualities too.

But as is so often the case today, $45 is over-priced. 

He is little different to anyone doing some work to earn some

money, and good luck to him that he has the violin he can do

that with.

I see that the first video he took off the air, so I didn't hear

that one at all.

The background clip sounds lovely indeed. Does anyone recognize what it is? Personally I think it's misleading to use a clip that's not his playing in a website about his teaching. Other than that I have nothing against him teaching beginners (ABRSM Grade 1-Grade 5).

The conservatory certification from Trinity college is actually a popular certification among advanced amateurs in Hong Kong. He didn't indicate which level of diploma he got so I assume it's the lowest level, putting him equivalent to a freshman conservatory student. As for orchestras, well, SAR Philharmonic is a curious name. (There is only one professional orchestra in Hong Kong called Hong Kong Philharmonic. Hong Kong is otherwise known as HKSAR. Calling an amateur group SAR Philharmonic just sounds a bit silly.)

Even "out-of-shape" teachers should be able to hold and use the equipment without gross errors, while personal idiosyncracies and adaptations made for physiological reasons should be understood and, if necessary, explained, since they cannot be applied to all students. Fundamentally flawed technique means this person cannot be a master teacher, or even a competent teacher, no matter how well he can explain, especially if he performs badly as well.

I'm seldom so absolute in my opinions, but I've had too many students come from ill-informed backgrounds - students who have talent that could have been better directed, and who now have to slave at making changes. All of which should have been unnecessary.

Unfortunately, this is not an unusual occurance. I am constantly appalled where I live that it always seems that the ones who do the most teaching are the least qualified to teach - they have the weakest technique and educational background. Most of the instrumentalists around here who have strong backgrouds and strong technique are too busy playing to do much teaching. It is just a shame all the kids who will be damaged or at least greatly slowed down due to the fact that a hack is teaching them. When I was growing up, my teacher couldn't teach a lick, but he was a fantastic violinist and I was able to learn something at least by watching him play. One of the local High Schools here just hired what I consider a con-man as the new orchestra director. He talks like he is a god, he plays and teaches like he has no clue. The kids caught on instantly and now it is a very bad situation.