Maestronet Forums

Who is the best violinist now?

nickia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

omg I went to Vengerov's concert with UBS orchestra tonight and Vengerov injured his right arm and only played mozart concerto #2 where he was suppose to play #2,#4 and Sinfoinia concertante. I was also so eager to hear his encores... blah bad luck tonight!

my favourite violinist still alive is Hilary Hahn. She has an amazing capacity to play. I went to see her in London a year ago and it was just great. i'm looking forward to see her again in january and february 2008 in "salle pleyel" and "theatre des champs elysées" in Paris.

I also like: Maxim Vengerov (but not his gesticulations); Anne Sophie Mutter; Julia Fischer; Perlman; Renaud Capucon

quote:

Originally posted by:
Allan Speers

Ah, Erika. So glad you mentioned Leila Josefowicz!

I was afraid to mention here since I don't know a

lot about the classical world (and you know, music that only MOVES

you doesn't count, it must be technically Paganninian for the

artist to have merit!)

]

Great player, but she pulls horribly stupid faces when she plays. I think its meant to convey passion and intensity but she looks like she's passing a kidney stone. Puts me right off.

I think one of the best players around has got to be Boris Belkin. I understand he performs mainly in Europe, Asia and Australia - and is therefore not quite as well known in the US - but every time he has played, he has never ceased to amaze me. There is a sense of electricity when Belkin plays, unmatched by any other I have heard in the flesh. He once played in Sydney not long after Salvatore Accardo, and the difference in styles was rather apparent. Accardo was considerably more academic and pedestrian. Belkin's intensity and fire literally brought the house down. His whole-hearted approach to music-making is perfect for most of the mainstream concerto repertoire, and to me, that is what sets him apart from other soloists. He somehow manages to captivate the audience and bring the entire hall into the experience. Without a shadow of a doubt, Boris Belkin is a terrific violinist who definitely deserves far more mention on the internet!

Incidentally, he also happens to be the teacher of a couple of today's finest young players, including Janine Jansen and Kyoko Yonemoto.

quote:

Originally posted by:
JohnCee

quote:

Originally posted by:
Allan Speers

Ah, Erika. So glad you mentioned Leila Josefowicz!

I was afraid to mention here since I don't know a

lot about the classical world (and you know, music that only MOVES

you doesn't count, it must be technically Paganninian for the

artist to have merit!)

]

If i knew Vengerov was injured that night, I'd have gone to Leila's concert!

Great player, but she pulls horribly stupid faces when she plays. I think its meant to convey passion and intensity but she looks like she's passing a kidney stone. Puts me right off.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Omobono

Here is a quick list of the candidates for best(favourite-sic!) violinists thus far

replete with their curent instruments (always subject to revision):

Vadim Gluzman Strad 1690 ex-Auer

Omo,

I had the rare and special opportunity to play the Auer Strad about 15-16 yrs ago when it was in the possession of Eunice Lee. What a magnificent instrument and experience.