Maestronet Forums

Shipping a violin to Spain

jaf67

No, that includes the case. I'm looking for the best way, not the most expensive way. My wife can't resist labeling me as a cheep f38k. I'm more interested on how long the package will take to clear customs in Spain, if anyone has any experience shipping there

I ship USPS Global Express Mail. The rates are reasonable and it arrives in about a week or less. How long it takes for a violin to clear customs is anyone's guess. I suppose it varies country to country. I never hear anything good about Canada or Colombia. I've haven't shipped to Spain, so I don't have any experience to draw from with that particular country...

Woodland

Thanks, Global express is about 2X the cost of Parcel Post Air, and I would be willing to go that way if it made a big difference in the transit time, but I'm going crazy trying to talk to a real person at the USPS, UPS FedEx. All I get are the mindless "if you want.... press 1-20 things that don't answer my question......... time for a beer! And it"s only Monday!

Some USPS int'l services can't be insured to some countries, so watch out for that. As I recall in some cases you have to ship air to be able to insure, FWIW.

You can figure all this stuff out online by working through their pricing/transit time pages. I recently had to ship out items to about 20 international destinations and I was able to get all the different shipping and insurance costs figured out ahead of time by using the website.