Maestronet Forums

Do you hollow out the fingerboard or neck? Why or Why not?

shsu

Do you mean under the fingerboard where it attaches to the neck?

I think the idea is to make a weaker glue joint so the fingerboard can be easily removed later. I have seen grooves in the board, neck, knife cut hash marks.......

I personally thin the glue by puting glue on the neck and brushing water on the finferboard. I seem to be able to get them off pretty easily if I need too.

A lot of production instruments are done by putting 3 dots of glue on. Guess this works, but I have had to reglue many that take a jolt and fall off.

Dorian

Well, my favorite luthier, Ute Brinkmann, found my viola neck looked like this when she went to replace the fingerboard:

http://www.mikemargolis.com/hollowneck1.jpg

http://www.mikemargolis.com/hollowneck2.jpg

And she filled it in so it looked like this before she put the new fingerboard on:

http://www.mikemargolis.com/hollowneckfixed.jpg

This instrument was made in 1860 in Markneukirchen, by the way.

quote:

Originally posted by:
DutchViolins

Matt, why are you making that channel?

Is it for easier removal of the FB in the case of repairs or does it have tonal effects?

I've seen it done that way. It allows excess glue to ooze into the channel, most likely makes it a little easier to remove as there is less surface area glued, and reduces weight in the Ebony fingerboard. I don't make them that deep, 1/8" at the most and 1/4" wide. I start it about 1/4" away from the end of the neck, but go right through up by the nut. That way, any glue chips rattling around can be cleaned out by removing the nut, plus you can start the fingerboard removal easier with the access hole, or so I've read.

A little off topic but I just checked out your "build pages" Matt.

Your work is really beautiful and your level of innovation with tools and jigs is commendable.

I'm quite envious.

You've shamed me into putting more time in, at the workshop. I hope these pages remain where they are. They are among the best web based instrument building guides I have seen.

quote:

Originally posted by:
bblake

A little off topic but I just checked out your "build pages" Matt.

Your work is really beautiful and your level of innovation with tools and jigs is commendable.

I'm quite envious.

You've shamed me into putting more time in, at the workshop. I hope these pages remain where they are. They are among the best web based instrument building guides I have seen.

Thankyou very much. I like that I have "shamed" you into putting in more workshop time. My intentions at first were to show how I made a violin, but if people can find useful information or inspiration in them that is even better.

quote:

Originally posted by:
shsu

I mean hollowing out either fingerboard or neck or even both. I thought it's to reduce excessive weight and/or easy disassembly.

I don't think I would ever hollow out the neck like in Mike's links, I'd worry about weakening the neck. The fingerboard, maybe a little more hollowing could be done, but keep in mind the fingerboard will be dress several times in the violin's life so you need a cetain amount of material to be there.