Maestronet Forums

Another fake I take.

fidleir

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...50090479949&rd=1&rd=1

Im tempted but I just know in my heart that these at best workshop fiddles.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI...0079826058&rd=1&rd=1.

These guys are dealers and know what they are selling does anybody think they be reasonably playing fiddes if they go at a reasonable price I'm tempted the Schlosser has avery nice back and good workmanship.

quote:

Originally posted by:
fiddlecollector
Ones a crook

the others sells loads of rubbish with bad pictures ,usually with

fake labels and brands.

In other words, they are both crooks.

If an auction's wording clearly indicates that the seller knows a

lot about violins, and / or the seller has sold / is selling other

violins, then there's only two explanations for a seriously-low

starting bid:

1:  The violin is complete rubbish, or-

2:  There will be serious shill bidding involved before the

end of the auction.

Period.

quote:

Originally posted by:
fidleir

Which one is the crook?Depotdoc!

One of them ,somehow actually removed a violin(and a much cheaper one he had bid for) from a real auction which i had bought and paid for.When confronted he said he had already sold the violin onto a buyer in Germany,which was highly unlikely(as this was in a matter of a few days).Only for the violin to appear on ebay within a couple of weeks ,the seller being the same as the guy who had removed my violin.

I couldnt be bothered chasing after him and was fully refunded by the auction house.Needless to say the violin sold on ebay for less than he had paid for it. (which was some comfort to know)

(the auctioneers had got the money out of him,by treat of legal action).

Im in the UK so you can guess which one im refering to.

quote:

Originally posted by:
bean_fidhleir

quote:

Originally posted by:
bblake

Anyone prepared to chime in on this Ebay "Stainer"

I wish Al Stancel were still with us--he'd be laughing his butt off, or possibly shaking his head in amusement. He called those ones with the discontinuous arching "bathtub 'Stainers'".

In my ignorance I'd like to ask a question about the "discontinuous arching". I've become quite interested in Stainers but am new to violins.

On a genuine Stainer, is the "step/slope" down towards the ribs, from the very high centre section, much more gradual. Does it follow a set of contours, like a land countour map, down to the flat perimeter at the ribs?

Or is it, from the high point, a gradual and continuous slope down, to the flat before the ribs?

This is not easy to put into words so I'm sorry if I am confusing.

I have tried to work this out by looking at several pictures of Stainers but have been unable to.

Perhaps put more simply, I am asking why the "Bathtub" in this picture is so obviously wrong, and how a correct Stainer, back and front, would look.

Thanks for any help.

quote:

Originally posted by:
bblake

In my ignorance I'd like to ask a question about the "discontinuous arching". I've become quite interested in Stainers but am new to violins.

On a genuine Stainer, is the "step/slope" down towards the ribs, from the very high centre section, much more gradual. Does it follow a set of contours, like a land countour map, down to the flat perimeter at the ribs?

Or is it, from the high point, a gradual and continuous slope down, to the flat before the ribs?

This is not easy to put into words so I'm sorry if I am confusing.

I have tried to work this out by looking at several pictures of Stainers but have been unable to.

Perhaps put more simply, I am asking why the "Bathtub" in this picture is so obviously wrong, and how a correct Stainer, back and front, would look.

Thanks for any help.

Besides the pointer that Wilhelm provides, here are 2 more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Stainer.jpg and a copy by David van Zandt: http://www.vanzandtviolins.com/vn77new.htm. I think Michael has photos of a copy he made some time ago (unless I'm confused), and could perhaps be persuaded to post them here, too. The differences between the real ones/good copies and that 'bathtub' non-copy should be apparent.

(edit: fixed links made buggy by the forum software)

Last night I was reading my Franz Farga "Violins and Violinists" and I got to the chapter on English violins.

Apparantly there was a heavy preference towards copying Stainers and in the authors opinion, "the majority grossly exaggerated the arches".

Perhaps this is common knowledge to forum members but I found it very interesting. It would seem "bathtubs" are not a new phenomonen.

quote:

Originally posted by:
priya

Talk about English bathtubs, check this one out:

">

">

Nothing wrong with that one ,at least the arching is more or less harmonius. Ive seen Italians that are higher arched than that one.

Most bad Stainer type violins ,i associate a figure of eight style of high arching platform(almost flat) with a deep trough around it.