Maestronet Forums

Bulgarian Violins

adzarkos

A local dealer here is starting to carry them, and rave about them. I tried a lot of good violins recently and it was after that that I tried them. I was impressed. I think one was a Stantov, so it was around $5g or so US, but he also had a cheaper one that also sounded amazing. Actually, between the two I liked the cheaper one more. There was no label on it and he didn't say whose it was.

I had bought a good Chinese violin in 2005. It was even, bright and I thought a decent instrument. When I tried the Bulgarian ones I could see there was no comparison. Mine sounded hard and unsophisticated. With the Bulgarian ones you instantly get texture and complexity, plus a good measure of projection, something I don't think you get too much with the Gligas from Romania. Build quality is excellent as well. He said that since he started carrying the Bulgarian ones he can't sell the Chinese ones.

Fact is, had I gone for the least expensive one I could have had it for under $1500 US. I would have been laughing all the way to the bank. Some people "need" to spend more, but anyone who would have heard it would have been impressed. In the end I bought a Fein violin which sounded almost identical to the cheap one but had a bit more projection.

Definately worth a look and (at least I think) will not waste your time.

Wes

I worked for sofia violins for many years. The most common thing I noticed with the Eastern Euro violins is that they tend to have a darker sound (a matter of personal taste,) A lot of them seem to have these boomy D's as well, which bother me.

Still a better buy than German........and others because of the cost of labor. Not as competetive with Chinese I think.

Dorian

Hi there guys! hello barnesviolins...

I completey agree with bradford about the sound of these

instruments. I have a sofia. Love love it! but.... i dunno there's

something about these new chinese violins that are pretty

amazing....

GOing back... Think the reason why they have a darker sound and

boomy d's is because they are used to the more gypsy-ish and folk

sound? and so they make their instruments that way?

Sofia uses standard graduations. They also pay the people who protect the forests to cut a spruce and drag it down the mountain for them to use.........Ironic isn't it? The owner always told me that's the way things work there. They make bolts and nuts on one side of the country, ship them to the other side wher the melt it down to raw steel, ship it back to make bolts...........................................I'm sure this may be an exaggeration, but the geberal idea is that's the way things get done there.

It may be the wood. I felt that way about Romanian instruments as well. Maybe similiar wood? Not real sure.

Chinese recommendations? depends on price range. West coast strings has some excellent violins, "Frank Denti" model for around 1050-1200, and you can get a Shang Jiang for as little as 6500.

Good luck hunting.

Dorian

People put far too much emphasis on competition results. While I don't intend to disparage the VSA, I don't think the fact that this last convention's winners were all Chinese is meaningful at all. I also am skeptical of their scoring system in general, because often the judges' individual scores in different categories (ESPECIALLY in workmanship categories) often show wild variation.

Remember, the judging panel changes every year...I personally think that the next competition may not yield the same results.

quote:

Originally posted by:
wmeng
People put far too much emphasis on competition results. While I don't intend to disparage the VSA, I don't think the fact that this last convention's winners were all Chinese is meaningful at all. I also am skeptical of their scoring system in general, because often the judges' individual scores in different categories (ESPECIALLY in workmanship categories) often show wild variation.

I have always been curious what a "Gold Medal" winning violin sounds like, but I agree with you, but perhaps for a different reason.

If my violin wasn't perfectly even it would lose such a competition, but the overtones and texture I get out of it far outweigh that in my valuation, so I am very happy. But I don't think my instrument would win a medal.

You just have to decide what's important to you and what you're willing to live with to have it.

Wes