Custom bending iron form finished

It finally got made. I originally designed it about a year ago, but never got it made as I lost interest in building for a little while. Solid aluminum CNC'd to shape, with a bit of sanding and filing. The last picture shows the standard Ibex cast aluminum form. I have yet to use it, but probably will whip up a scrap piece of rib material tonight.

iron1.jpg

iron2.jpg

iron3.jpg

iron4.jpg

Hmmm... Asbestos? Are you sure about that? I would be extremely surprised to learn of asbestos being used on new Ibex benders. Mine (which I purchased a year ago) has a ring, but I was fairly confident it was ceramic due to the very white color.

On what basis do you say asbestos is found on new ibex benders?

It works fairly well. I set it to 3.5 and it was hot enough after 20mins but eventually got too hot, and 2 seems like it'll work better. I made three c-bouts and was hoping to be able to wrap them around the iron, but that didn't work as well as I hoped. The fatter end is too fat, but the tighter end was pretty much perfect for both the c-bout corners. The fatter end will probably be fine for the upper & lower bout corners. It also seems to be too flat across the sides, and I had to use the fat end to add more curve to the middle of my test c-bouts. I did, however, base the design off the Strobel model violin I built my first two from, and the c-bouts of the Amati Alard are much more curved (and nicer looking).

They also make an asbestos like fluff called fiber fax I believe. It is used in ceramic kilns, with a temp rating over 2500 degrees F, or something like that. By the way matt are you a machinist?? There is also a firebrick like brick that is ceramic but it weighs only ounces, you can cut it with a hand saw or just rub it together to sand it down to what ever shape you want, its loaded with small air pockets. I can't see where you are using it in the pictures so i don't know if my information is helpful or not. But a shop that sells ceramic supplies like potters use, would probably have some sort of high temp safe things that you could use.

I can't really tell from the picture, but is your new custom iron tall enough to bend cello ribs? Btw, I think that would look pretty pimp in brass. Of course it looks cool already, and congrats. Are you thinking you might take your experience of having used it a few times and tweak the design and make another one?

I'm not sure what that white gasket is, it's kind of a soft white fibre-ish disk with three holes in it, and came stock with the iron.

quote:

By the way matt are you a machinist??

No, but I work with people that are, and who were very helpful.

Seth, it's only 3" tall, suitable for violin and probably viola. I always figured the stock Ibex design would be fine for 'cello.

quote:

Are you thinking you might take your experience of having used it a few times and tweak the design and make another one?

Not sure yet. I think I will get to rib bending this weekend as they are nearly ready to go.

Right now if I were to alter anything I think I would make the fatter curve alot smaller, almost the size of the tiny curve, make it a bit wider at the widest cross section, and add more curve along the long faces. But I just dont know yet, I'll need to try it and see if it's worth the trouble of altering.