Sign in to follow this  
warren

Scroll with cut out back

Dear guys,

I have recently come across violins with scrolls that are cut out at the back. Is the cutting out associated with any particular school?

Have a nice weekend,

Warren

Do you mean right along the back or just around the A string peg ,ive seen some with material removed around the A peg to increase easier access,but assumed it was done by someone other than the maker.

Some basses,cellos can have cut outs on the back probably associated with viols.

quote:

Originally posted by:
fiddlecollector

Do you mean right along the back or just around the A string peg ,ive seen some with material removed around the A peg to increase easier access,but assumed it was done by someone other than the maker.

Some basses,cellos can have cut outs on the back probably associated with viols.

I mean around the A string peg. Why should anybody make a hole on the back of the scroll? Easier access does not appear to me to be a good excuse for such damage to the scroll.

Regards,

Warren

quote:

Originally posted by:
warren

quote:

Originally posted by:
fiddlecollector

I mean around the A string peg. Why should anybody make a hole on the back of the scroll? Easier access does not appear to me to be a good excuse for such damage to the scroll.

Regards,

Warren

Yes i think the same but it does get done by people.