Maestronet Forums

Ed Dietrich Violins, Lethbridge, Alberta

WesRist

Well the time has come.

I've been drooling over his instruments on his website long enough and I've decided to take a trip there and see if they sound as good as they look, and from what others have been saying, they do.

I have enjoyed my Guarnerius model (by somebody else) for a number of years now, but some issues it has that I have not been able to solve has finally pushed me over the edge, so now it's "off I go" looking for something better.

Not much has been said about Ed's violins on this site, so if anyone has any questions let me know, I'm heading there. I know one question I'll ask, and that is, does he distribute any of his through dealers? Sure would be easier than limiting sales to those who come to him.

Anyway, here's his site http://www.members.shaw.ca/die...violins/violins01.html

There are 3 pages to drool over. I'll be there Saturday, enjoying myself for sure!

Wish me luck!

Wes

• 5 weeks later...

Due to several private inquiries I have chosen to post my findings here as well.

I guess in terms of looks they don't look as perfect as in the pictures, but some do look pretty nice. Only problem I had was the price was then 8 or 9 grand. He started with (I assume) the cheaper ones which had sandpaper scratches in the varnish which shocked me, but as we went on (and better ones came out?) their complection cleared.

Sound wise I was impressed! I've played through many violins (around 100 at other shops) and can quickly discard an instrument for being uneven in tone, or tinny, etc., but I was never exposed to such a collection of good sounding instruments. Where I would discard 30-40% of violins at a dealer for not being even, at Dietrich's I discarded maybe 5% for that. I was there for 9 hours!

The reason is, he makes the violin, and then later goes back and if there's something he didn't like he fixes it. Several of his have been regraduated. Basically, almost all of them sound great....and some amazing. I have never seen a violin where you can play so quiet. And then so loud.

I ended up coming down to 5 instruments ranging from $4500 - 9000.00. I guess I wanted the $9000 one but didn't feel qualified to decide his instrument was worth that, so I took the numbers of the instruments and left to think about it further. In the end I found an instrument by Fein instruments locally that made me happy.

So again, they sound fantastic, but sometimes the wood looks modelled. I guess I still need an instrument that I love to look at, and his didn't do that for me. Basically you do need to go there to try them, because ordering one sight unseen would not work, and he's not interested in that either.

Cheers!

Wes

• 4 months later...

I know this is a really long shot, but by any chance do you remember or have record of the numbers of those four or five violins by Ed Dietrich that you were really impressed with? I know he has them all numbered on his Website. The reason I'm asking is I have one ordered from him and I let him pick it out rather than fly up there,after describing to him what kind of sound I'm looking for. Thanks!

Hi WesRist,

Let me comment what I have from reading this tread. There is a limited extent of violin pictures can

impress me. I will not be too impressed by someone's violin pictures. Then, how I would be impressed with?

I like a violin only after I have played it for a long time, say , 2 months. However, I will reject

a violin quickly with min. of playing. It is unfair to many makers. It is something of my inability

of recognizing a great instrument in short time. But that is me.

I am sorry to know that you have been pushed to the edge by your old instrument (violin), to set

you off to look for a better one. I believe the violin world is big enough you will find your new love.

including Dietrich's violins which are looking good.

By the way, the prices you quoted are not outrageous. That is the beauty of them too. I can see

green and smile.

• 2 years later...
May I ask you what is the issue of the Guraneri ? Was it there at the time you bought it?
Oops! I guess there were posts after I left....sorry.

The issue I had was the violin was "hoarse" when you played an A on the D.

I didn't notice it when I bought it. We tried a lot of ideas, bridge mods, post

relocation and type, checking all the lengths, all to no avail.

I really like my Fein violin now, even though it has the occassional wolf whistle

on the open E. It's just an amazing instrument. I can't recommend theirs enough.

Wes

Oops! I guess there were posts after I left....sorry.

The issue I had was the violin was "hoarse" when you played an A on the D.

I didn't notice it when I bought it. We tried a lot of ideas, bridge mods, post

relocation and type, checking all the lengths, all to no avail.

I really like my Fein violin now, even though it has the occassional wolf whistle

on the open E. It's just an amazing instrument. I can't recommend theirs enough.

Wes

+++++++++++++

In this violion world, there are sufficient suppy of violins so you do not have to look

very hard to find something you like :) Sorry that you have overlooked the wolf

of your fisrt violin.