Sign in to follow this  
BarryD

what case will fit a 14.5" violin

I need some suggestions on a case that is large enough to fit an 14.5" violin. The case are for instrument that are sold to customers so it must be affordable.

I have a 14 5/16 inch violin that fits into a Shar Heritage Shaped Violin Case that I bought about 7 years ago. There is about 1/4 inch wiggle room in the length fit. So maybe that case would accommodate the full 14.5 you need. The case was about $100 back then.

Length may not be the problem but upper bout width might be. My violin, while being extra long, is not extra wide at 168mm in the upper bout. If your fiddle is extra wide (say, wider than 170 in the upper bout) as well as extra long, you may have trouble fitting the fiddle in that case.

Barry,

I'm not sure that Shar has that kind of case in the Heritage line anymore. The one I have has no padding around the upper bout ribs immediately on either side of the neck root. There is just an straight, unpadded cross member that cradles the neck. That lack of padding allows for the extra room for my extra long fiddle.

Looking at Shar's site, I don't see that case under the Heritage line. If one looks under the Toshira cases, there's one there, the Toshira Student Violin Case, with that unpadded cross member, that may give you the extra room you need.