Maestronet Forums

Strings

ChristisKing

IMO,  one should find a string that he/she likes, then find a

violin that works well with those strings.

(g)

If I were rich, I'd be serious about that.  Being

denominationally challenged, I will respond to the OP's longetivity

question:  The longest-lasting string of all that I have tried

are:

Zyex  (but bleah to the sound)

Vision titanium  (but get the women & children off the

streets before you bow!)

Wondertone solo.  - a lovely string that refuses to go

bad.

The wondertones also meet the OP's criteria of being fairly bright.

Probably a very good choice.

My fiddle is set up for Dominants. They sound great. I used to be a die-hard Gut string guy - Eudoxas with a Gold label E. the fact is, my luthier knows the properties and characteristics of Dominant strings and his fiddles sound fantastic when he's done.

My college instructor was a hard core purest. Even today, he uses Eudoxa guts with an un-covered gut A string (as per Heifetz's recital set up.) To each his/her own!

A follow up on the Wondertone Solo.

Nice string.  I've been using them for a few weeks now.

Maybe almost a month.  

I don't care for the E all that much.  The more I play it, the

more it strikes me as being thin.  And it whistles in ways my

Pirastro Gold E never did.

The A appears to be fraying or coming unraveled where it meets the

bridge.  And it took quite a while for it to stop stretching.

I'm concerned for the overall structural integrity of that

string.

They sound nice.  We'll see how long they last.

quote:

Originally posted by:
C.B.Fiddler

My college instructor was a hard core purest. Even today, he uses Eudoxa guts with an un-covered gut A string (as per Heifetz's recital set up.) To each his/her own!

Not exactly, JH used bare gut D & A. For fun, I'm evolving towards the JH setup, currently a Eudoxa Brilliant G, Chorda thick D & A, Goldbrokat med E. The Chordas are meant for Baroque so even the thick gauge is relatively thin. To balance the G and E I'll order some much thicker middle strings from Gamut or Dlugolecki.

quote:

Originally posted by:
jmaj

quote:

Originally posted by:
C.B.Fiddler

Not exactly, JH used bare gut D & A. For fun, I'm evolving towards the JH setup, currently a Eudoxa Brilliant G, Chorda thick D & A, Goldbrokat med E. The Chordas are meant for Baroque so even the thick gauge is relatively thin. To balance the G and E I'll order some much thicker middle strings from Gamut or Dlugolecki.

I couldn't remember the exact set up for JH - thanks for the correction. All I know is that the Storioni he has adjusted in this manner is almost too sensitive now...

I'm liking the Warchal strings these days - Brilliants on a decent Chinese fiddle - holding up well. Karneols on a couple of trade violins- I've replaced all my Dominant strings with karneols. Plus the distributor is in Philly - so if I need a set in a hurry I can scoot over there right after work.

The Gliga Maestro came with Evah's - little metallic under the ear for my liking. Feedback is they sound good across the room.

And I have Obligatos on a couple fiddles - I like using them. I've the helicores on one fiddle - compared to synthetics - pretty one dimensional - anyway on that instrument.

Best,

Jen Ford

• 2 weeks later...