Sign in to follow this  
Fellow

What Is A Good Violin?

Hi all,

I have seen many posts asking the same or similar question over and over.

What are you looking for ? I have traded my violin by mistake because I did not know

the violin I had was better the violin I got. Then why trade it? (confusion at time)

What makes the changing mind was the knowlege. If I knew then as I know now I would not do (trade)it.

Regret maybe, but it is a price to pay.

I think a good violin has three elements, look, tone and "its blood line"

The first two elements are easy but the last thing is very hard to tell. "Blood line " means

it follows the a certain master Cremona ( faithful copy so to speak). Most of us have never

seen any "master instrument" I did not know what it was if it was in front of me (or actually owned)

Without the knowlege, you will never be able keep a good violin. You are constantly looking outside.

Nowadays' violins are approximation of the masters' "look","tone" and degree of "truthfulness"

Would you think so? Please comment.

Knowledge, that is, from the books and photographs, is important.

But most important is to try the instrument in question.

The proof of the pie is in the eating.  If a violin that

does not react well and produce good tone under different types of

bowing, it is useless nomatter who it was made by or how many

certificates in came with.  Of course it would be a different

matter for those who are investing rather than playing.  The

more advanced one gets, the more difficult it would be to find a

"Good Violin".

It depends if you are shopping from the standpoint of a musician or a collector. A collector does not care about the tone or sound of the instrument. A player technically should not care about the maker, provinence, etc. I think that if they are honest, most musicians can't help but be swayed at least a little by an instrument from a known maker. I also think it is human nature to always look for something "better".

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

I have traded my violin by mistake because I did not know

the violin I had was better the violin I got. Then why trade it? (confusion at the time)

Hi yuen,

If you traded in a violin, I assumed that the transaction was done at a shop, right? Just curious, what did the sales personnel say about the violin you were going to get? Did you pay additional amount in addition to your traded-in violin?

How did you realize that your old violin is "better" than your current one?

Hi Miles,

I was chasing a rainbow. I made a few mistakes, not just one.

(1) Because I live a small condo, I could not keep too many violins, so I traded my"good looking"

(dark tone) violin with a more bright new violin in a violin shop (they know much better than me) free.

(2) I traded second time with a "well-known" contemporary maker's violin with addtional $2000.

(3) Later, I did not like the tone of #2, (too loud) I then traded it with "good tone" violin no name

maker, "not so good looking'. another $2000.

I am better off if I did not traded any violin. See what I ended up? #2 was sold for $11,000 ( I traded it for $3k, value), #1, "good look" is gone forever ($3000). I am happy because I have a good tone violin, but nothing else, minus a few thousand dollars.

My advice: Don't trade. Pay as you go.

Or buy a biger house, put all my vioins in the house (where I moved from due to old age), no condo.

(The well-known maker was not well known then when I bought the violin. It was why the price

difference)

Another advice: buy a violin before the maker becomes famous, like (Stradivari, too late for anyone now) contemporary makers are worth to look into

Hi yuen,

Thank you so much for the details. Sorry that you didn't keep the #2. Did you mute not work for you? My mute doesn't seem to be working too well for me. But I like loud voice (my hearing is on the heavy side due to growing up on a busy street, and the killer stereo system I had), and the kids in my building (same floor) seem to enjoy my Twinkle. So did their mother tell me. So no one complained so far.

Hi Miles,

Usually a loud sound violin is a good violin. My #2 was too loud, because my wife complained

about it, and I felt the same. So, it went to become a trade (ie. before the maker won a VSA tone

award) after that the maker's violins sold for $11k or more over night. (I could not regret)

Does a mute work? It works but it give me a different sound, not exactly I wanted. I bought an old German violin it serves me well. (loud too) It is like a working horse, like a low maintenance horse. The top is very good, (ie. why the sound is so good) and the wood of other part of the violin are so-so, nothing to write home about. For me it is good enough.

How is your violin working out for you? Get any bargain lately? ( I know you are a bargain hunter., right?)

PS. About two years ago, someone in this forum wrote a song name "quarrel with your landlady".

I played the song with my #2 (loud) violin. My wife complained. That was the start of the story.

why not just trade all your violins in for one great violin? seems

silly to have 5 mediocre violins when you can have one really good

one.

i personally keep it simple.... i have one good instrument, and one

'junker' instrument for outdoor playing.

Hi yuen,

I assumed that the loud violin was quite new when you got it,

right? Perhaps it need some play-in and seasons for a better sound.

Some violins are loud, but they're very sweet and pleasing and I

think nobody will complain...

By the way, does the violin sounds loud under ear too? I find

violins too loud under ear is quite annoying to endure in long time

playing...

Nevertheless, if you're happy with what you have now I think

there's nothing to regret about...

quote:

Originally posted by: yuen

Hi Miles,

Does a mute work? It works but it give me a different sound, not exactly I wanted. I bought an old German violin it serves me well. (loud too) It is like a working horse, like a low maintenance horse. The top is very good, (ie. why the sound is so good) and the wood of other part of the violin are so-so, nothing to write home about. For me it is good enough.

How is your violin working out for you? Get any bargain lately? ( I know you are a bargain hunter.

There is a new kind of mute, which will reduce the sound and yet still keep the tone intact. The mute would wrap around the bridge instead of the top.

Yes, I am a bargain hunter. I am now helping my fellow violin students with violins at a bargain price. They are happy, and I am happy, too.

Hi Pigcat,

My #2, the maker has won a VSA tone award. (making award about 10 years ago, tone later)

My #3, the maker has also won tone wards, internationally and VSA. (1 year ago, tone or making, one of those)

I got them and traded them before they won these awards. (so even out)

I am lucky in judging tone. Honestly I am not good in telling tone. I would never know

these news if I did not find out in internet.

Hi Yuen,

You are pretty good at picking the future VSA winnier. Please let me know your pick for next year's winnier and I'll buy from him now. :-)

Hi,

There is no secret. Here is the way to pick out winners. Hang around at your local

violin shop and try some of their violins in $3000-$5000 price range. If the sound of the violins

please you and the the maker (not very well known) is new in the block. Bingo.

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

Hi Miles,

Usually a loud sound violin is a good violin. My #2 was too loud, because my wife complained

about it, and I felt the same. So, it went to become a trade (ie. before the maker won a VSA tone

award) after that the maker's violins sold for $11k or more over night. (I could not regret)

How is your violin working out for you? Get any bargain lately? ( I know you are a bargain hunter.
, right?)

PS. About two years ago, someone in this forum wrote a song name "quarrel with your landlady".

I played the song with my #2 (loud) violin. My wife complained. That was the start of the story.

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

Hi Miles,

, right?)

quote:

Text

quote:

Originally posted by:
Busking_Shark

quote:

Originally posted by:
yuen

Hi Miles,

[/img]
, right?)

quote:

Text

quote:

Text

Hi Buskering,

Thanks a lot. Yes, it was the piece I was looking for.

Carolan's song "Quarrel with the landlady" I like it a lot, but I did not know it is so well-known.

I play classical most the time. This one caught my attention. Thank you again.

Hi David,

Nothing is impossible. The maker I quoted was a winner of VSA, a sufficient reason for

this maker to get a price jump. Is is necessary? No, there are many good makers (in this world)

have not participated in any competition.

Almost all winners' violins commend a price of $20k, and gradually come back down as I notice.

I am sure your violin are good enough to worth a trial.

quote:

Originally posted by:
David Tseng

I don't go to VSA competition. Is there any other way I can raise the price of my work?

Yes, use a new price tag with higher DOLLAR/POUND amount. Or tell your client, the old price was in Canadian dollars.

Seriously, my buddy, a well-established musician, was impressed with the sound of your violin. So now, all you need is to make violins ready to compete for the Miss Universe pagent.

To be financially successful, a maker must produce large quantities of quality instruments. The marketing strategy is also important from entreprenur point of view. Peresson is an example. But I firmly believe that good sounding violins will always be recognized by the players. For instance, Kingbury only produced about 75 instruments and all were treasured by their owners.