Maestronet Forums

Tarisio Auction

brontosaurous

Thought I'd start a thread on people's thoughts on the latest Tarisio auction. Some of the offerings do look exciting, especially the Italian fiddles that are within the more affordable price brackets.

Also, how are quality descriptors such as "good" and "fine" determined? The Tarisio site says they're pegged to their experts' opinions on quality of craftsmanship and materials; does this consequently mean violins that are tagged as such are likely to have better tonal qualities?

Just curious questions from a faraway offshore observer...

I agree the offerings this time look very inviting. I wish I had the excuse to go shopping for myself or someone else, or at least to see the items at first hand. Unfortunately I will not be doing either unless I can persuade the family of one student to do so.

If someone is going who is confident enough to try the violas and vioal bows I would really like to hear.

Descriptions such as "good" or "interesting" are certainly tantalising. (Somewhere there is a glossory of terms used at such auctions accessible online, I'm sure.) I presume "interesting" means there is some evidence the item shows evidence of quality workmanship or origin without definite proof. (Hence my little game on the pegbox board.)