Breton Brevete

I think it should read Brevette de S.A.R Me on genuine Breton instruments, but these later Breton factory instruments seem to have changed it slightly. I think maybe Laberte (may be wrong) later owned the Breton patent. I think de .S.A.R has something to do with a French Government department /Patent office or something . I see brevette stamped on case locks ,chinrests , tools ,etc...

• 14 years later...

Hi, I'm joining this discussion because I'm about to buy a "Breton breveté".

Brevette doesn't exist (except in "je brevette", part of the verb conjugation). Brevet is a patent, breveté means patented. As for Son Altesse Royale Madame (La Duchesse d'Angoulême), err, I'd like some elucidation, lol!

I guess "breveté de SARMe" ("patended by her highness") means the Duchess was the nominal (titular?) owner of her regional patenting authority?

(I didn't check the date of the discussion, sorry)

Edited by Gordon Shumway
Apologising for joining a very old discussion

This particular label and the corresponding brand on the back of the button are to be found on violins made by all of the Mirecourt mega-workshops from around 1880 onwards. Once you've seen a  hundred or two you realise that the only common factor (apart from the label and the brand) is that they are generally yellow, though sometimes orange ....