Sign in to follow this  
FutureConcertmaster

Your Favorite Piano piece.

Ok everybody, I need some advice. I need a piece to play on piano

for an upcomming (November) Talent show. I want to know your

favorite piano piece.

Plus I would love to hear some suggestions of some great

Intermidiate level piano pieces that I could play.

Please post the Name of the piece and the composer.

Thanks,

Richard

I think a piece from Chopin would be nice. You can see many videos

in the you tube web site. Just to get an idea.

piano">youtube

Let me know if you find a piece you want to play and need the sheet

music. I have many.

Intermediate you say? I would stay away from Beethoven and Mozart Sonata's- especially since you have less than 2 months to prepare. Both of those composers require many many hours of work to bring a piece to performance level. Mozart seems almost simplistic at first glance, but the refined technique that is necessary for his sonatas is something only gained with time- my piano teacher actually maintains that Mozart sonatas are the most difficult of any composer, because of this reason: anyone can play loud and fast, but to play controlled, with a classical touch etc.-- that is the mark of a mature pianist.

Alfred puts out a series of books called Encore! that have many very nice, showy, concert pieces ranging from intermediate to early advanced- I would advise looking in those, probably book 2, which can be found here: http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/store/smp_de...67&item=3525141

In particular (from that book), the Sonata No. 6 in C Minor (Third Movement) by Pescetti, the Haydn G Major Sonata, and the Katchaturian Sonatina at the back of the book are great stuff- and you could definitely have something like those ready by November.

The advice offered by those above me is good- I'm just worried that you might not be able to have something like a Chopin Polonaise ready by November...

I've been playing piano for almost 13 years so I think I hope I can offer you some helpful advice. = )

Yah I have decided to stay away from Mozart and Chopin for such an early deadline... But the actual performance isnt until the end of January... I should have been more clear. November is the prelim. auditions... I just found this out myself so now I have longer to prepare!

I have been thinking about the Beethovens Pathetique, it is a since sonata movement and it is really easy. I can sightread about half of it and the middle/end is the only part I really need to work on.

Yah I have decided to stay away from Mozart and Chopin for such an early deadline... But the actual performance isnt until the end of January... I should have been more clear. November is the prelim. auditions... I just found this out myself so now I have longer to prepare!

I have been thinking about the Beethovens Pathetique, it is a nice sonata movement and it is really easy. I can sightread about half of it and the middle/end is the only part I really need to work on.

Oooh- till January is a different story. About the Pathetique, are you referring to the first movement? Maybe it would be a good idea to listen to a recording of it- I played it a couple of years ago and from my experience the middle section requires great dexterity and accuracy- I'm not saying you don't have those, not in the least- but it always helps to listen to a piece when you start working on it to get a bigger idea of how everything fits together. Good luck on your audition!

Thanks (lol they are usually desperate for acts, so I could play twinkle twinkle and I would prob get accepted.) but yah I have listened to recordings. Yah the ending is more difficult, I have great decterity my problem with playing is keys. I have trouble with any keys other than C,F,Dmaj, and Gmaj. So that is the real part I need to work on.

The Waldstein is too difficult for an intermediate player, I prefered to play Chopin and Schubert.

You might try pour le piano by Debbussy, or maybe some Scott Joplin.

If you are feeling angry try Chopin first etude, in C.

Good luck !

Ok everybody, I need some advice. I need a piece to play on piano

for an upcomming (November) Talent show. I want to know your

favorite piano piece.

Plus I would love to hear some suggestions of some great

Thanks,

Richard

Dear Richard:

My favorite piano piece is "Harmonies du Soir" (Evening Harmonies) by Franz Liszt. It is #11 in the set of Transcendental Etudes so I doubt you'd want to try this piece. It's one of the most beautiful pieces I have ever heard. I also play it.

How about Rachmaninov's Prelude #4 in D, opus 23? There's another hauntingly beautiful piece,very reminiscent of the 18th Variation from his Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini.

Hungarian Rhapsody II, by Franz List. People have gone insane trying to play it, but holey crud, what a BLAST! You'll never want to forget it.

That is the second half of the song, but what is most recognized. This guy actually plays it as well, though he does change the ending to make it SLIGHTLY easier for him...it bugs me.

But that's hard, intermediate? Then I would HIGHLY recommend anything by Scott Joplin, I've been playing his stuff since I was in 8th grade, the full versions, never play a watered down version, they'll only make it harder to learn the real thing. And they never sound as good either.

Maple Leaf Rag, got that one memorized been playing it so long!

What ever you play, play something that is fun to you, you'll be more apt to learn it and perform it well.

Hungarian Rhapsody II, by Franz List. People have gone insane trying to play it, but holey crud, what a BLAST! You'll never want to forget it.

That is the second half of the song, but what is most recognized. This guy actually plays it as well, though he does change the ending to make it SLIGHTLY easier for him...it bugs me.

But that's hard, intermediate? Then I would HIGHLY recommend anything by Scott Joplin, I've been playing his stuff since I was in 8th grade, the full versions, never play a watered down version, they'll only make it harder to learn the real thing. And they never sound as good either.

Maple Leaf Rag, got that one memorized been playing it so long!

What ever you play, play something that is fun to you, you'll be more apt to learn it and perform it well.

If you need either, just ask I own them both as well as all of Scott Joplin's works.

Hardly any of the pieces mentioned are "easy" to play with good expression, dynamic range, rubato, etc. I like Schumann's "Traumerei" from Kinderszenen. It's easy to hit the right keys at the right time but not at all easy to play well.

For a really easy piece how about Bach's C-major prelude from Well Tempered Clavier Book I? Well played it is a very nice piece, but most people don't give it its due.

I always found The Sunken Cathedral by Debussy to be a great performance piece.    Especially if you could explain the piece a bit in the program. 

(I realized I'm posting this after the due date)

Or you can stretch your ears a bit with Ravel

Le Tombeau de Couperin

Otherwise, get out of your classical box with some Gershwin

Three Preludes

CD