the part i don't understand about Chinese violins (and other

violins made outside the US) is how they can sell these with no

country of origin label? i thought this was required by law, but i

see few Chinese (or Romanian, or otherwise) violins labeled as

such, including two that i have bought (that i knew were Chinese,

but both were unlabeled)...do they put the "Made in China" label on

the underside of the top of something?

cassi  

Both the scenarios described are dishonest.Chinese instruments have a bad name because of the "skylark" variety and to a certain extent becaause of the snobery of some dealers and afficiados.It'swrong to take good fiddles and do final tweaking and then pretend that your input somehow rescues an otherwise bland instrument and this gives you the right to label it and claim most of the kudos.The wages issue is a red herring they simply make excellent fiddles which western makers cannot match for price.

quote:

Originally posted by:
bean_fidhleir

Michael, from something I was reading the other day, the reason they needn't worry is that legally they're similar to newspapers and cartage companies--they're carriers. A carrier's only obligation is to the one that's paying their fee. Their role doesn't include the obligation to become content experts or police because it would be an impossible burden. So they're allowed to treat the adverts in the same way a trucking company treats the packing crates they transport. If anything illegal or unethical is happening, the default assumption is that they're not part of it.

A carrier doesn't necessarily set rules, but eBay does. eBay could unilaterally "kill" your listing with NO proof nor warnings if so-called "verified rights owners'" request. Two years ago, I put my Optionetics material on eBay and my listing was cancelled a day before the ending time. I was told that the so-called verified rights owner informed them (eBay) that I was selling pirated copy. First of all, I know they were authentic (obtained from the company) and secondly no one asked me to see my course material. After I pursued the matter, I discovered that eBay never verified such "rights owner" (eBay admitted that they randomly verified copy-right owners). Eventually, I was able to get the "so-called" rights owner to reply to my request and he said that he scouted eBay for potential violations for a living. He also informed eBay to reinstate my listing and all my loss was just my time. Finally, I was able to get Optionetics COO to reply to my request and I was told that this so-called rights owner of Optionetics was not authorized by Optionetics, but acted on his own accord. Optionetics actually had the same complaints I made before, and he had to inform eBay for such unauthorized "rights owner".

eBay implemented so-called "Verified Rights Owner" program to avoid potential lawsuit. Unbelievably, their "verified rights owners" actually were not always verified. Has anyone heard any carrier ever had program to "screen" their customers, even worse with lies?

Longrifles, thanks for the info. I knew paypal got bought by eBay and settled a lawsuit. But I didn't know exactly what lawsuit was for. I still have all the email communication just in case there might be another class lawsuit against them.

Speaking about Ebay & paypal... my girlfriend sold her daughter's little violin for a very little amount, she packed it, shipped it USPS, I think priorty. She had it insured and delivery confirmation. She sent out the numbers to the buyer, he responded and said that he would keep his eye on the mail. It was delivered on the day it was supposed to. Now the buyer is saying that he never got it! Ebay & paypal froze her account and she is a "no longer a registered user" Now she is fighting with them because it was delivered, showed them the confirmation,and they want her to refund him his money! Now what is the deal with that?

While trying to sort out her problems with eBay (which took her payment, but never reinstated her eBay account although eBay claimed it would take a few days for her account to be reinstated), my girlfriend found this site:

http://www.shipbrook.com/karen/blog/?entry=823

eBay's "carrier" theory is just another tactic to avoid their responsibilities as a business.

I have no reason to defend violinkid--but, at least as far as Carlo

Tramonti violins are concerned:  if you check the stingnet web

site--it appears that Tramonti violins are made in China, and sent

white to Bologna, where they are fitted with a bassbar, varnished,

and otherwise finished (including the Tramonti label.)  Does

this make it "fake"? Probably not.  Is violinkid entirely

forthcoming in neglecting to mention the Chino-Italian nature of

the instrument? Well . . .  

Hello,

I was noticing that this guy seems to sell the same unique/rare

bows over and over again.  Seems interesting, he deserves to

be here:

"http://www.auctioncon.com/Con_Artist_of_the_Month.html">Con Artist

of the Month

We all of course know better than to buy a bow like this...but it

looks like hundreds of other bidders are enjoying their wonderful

and unique bows.  He should at least use different pictures!

A local mom wanted to sell the violin she had bought from a well known reputable violin shop. The local mom's daughter is now into soccer and doesn't play in anymore. The mom bought the violin just two years ago, the local violin teacher sent her the local reputable violin shop

and she bought a violin a case and a bow and she spent over $1,800. The local violin dealer was also a violin maker but he really doesn't make too many violins anymore. He varnishes Chinese violins and puts in his label. He sells Chinese cases and Chinese bows as well.

The local mom showed me the violin, it looked like a run of the mill Chinese violin. She tried to sell it for half the money without sucess.

She then dropped her price to $450 and put it on Ebay, no takers. The violin is now in her closet where it will likely remain.

I know another mom who just 5 years ago shopped on Ebay spent $1,800 and bought her daughter a Heberlein, circa 1920's, huge sound, fine condition. The daughter still likes playing and is currently studying Hotel Management.

Costco has a decent violin package for $79.00. Ebay has plenty of those as well, and Ebay offers violins in all the hot fall colors!

I like Ebay, it's interesting and fun. And when I'm bidding on some old violin that I really want and we are down to the last few seconds, my heart races, it's very exciting.

(May I continue the story ?)

Another local mom learnt that the neighbor daughter's Heberlein was so good, she also went out to buy one from e-bay. The mom was confused with a sea of Heberleins on ebay,

and she had no idea of which one was real.

" . . . it's very exciting."

I completely agree. I even have a countdown timer, and bid with seconds remaining, so that the competition won't have enough time to outbid me. Although in Jesse's auctions I usually find that my bid has been overbid before I get to make it.

Funny you should mention Heberlein. I was bidding on another violin; no one made the reserve. I made contact with the seller, and thought we'd come to a deal, but the instrument was sold to another party. In subsequent email discussion, he mentioned a few other violins he had that he thought I'd be interested in, one of which was a Heberlein Guarneri copy, which I ended up purchasing. (It always pays to be civil in emails; you never know who might feel kindly disposed toward you after awkward contretemps).

It's a fine violin, with a rich, thick, creamy, growling tone. I think it's real, but I really don't care. Couldn't be more pleased.

Cassi has a good point; unfortunately the manufacturers usually just use a little stick on tag, easily removed. Instruments are then turned into "works of art", which might have the finishers country on their label inside, or (fake) antiques, which don't have to be labelled at all.

I think its the same with bows, I haven't ever seen the word "China" stamped on a wooden bow. And yet they sell "Pernambuco" for about 80 bucks. All you need is a brand stamp, and you're in business.

I think that violinkid may be gone. Yesterday he was listing bows with a Fetique stamp, a Thomassin stamp, and a Jas Tubbs (which he recently added to the repertoire). Then suddenly everything was cancelled with no explanation. Did e-bay shut him down?

Ed

I've seen that before... If you try to go to the listing and get a "this listing was removed...." message, then that means Ebay did it. I've called Ebay customer service on one of those before and that's what they told me.