Maestronet Forums

Poll - How many use A-string fine tuners?

henrypeacham

I have one violin that uses two fine tuners and one that uses one fine tuner. Each came that way when I bought them and didn't change the fine tuners. I bought the one with two fine tuners in Bulgaria. The one with one fine tuner was made in the USA, or at least finished by an AMerican luthier.

I think that two fine tunders is common in Eastern Europe as are steel A and E strings combined with gut or synthetic G and D strings.

That set-up (using fine tuners on both the E and A strings) was very common prior to 1970 or so, especially with students. Unless you were using all-metal strings, the G and D were gut wound --and a fine tuner wasn't needed. The metal E always needed one, of course. But in the case of the A string, a few old-timers would still use plain gut, otherwise, it was either a metal A or a gut wound A. The gut wound A's typically had a short life span and required constant tuning.

As a student in the 1950's, I started with all steel strings and four tuners for the first year, and then switched to the 2 tuner set-up. It was only after I was quite advanced before using a gut wound A. I still have one instrument with this set-up, but I usually now use a Tonica A with gut wound D and G.

The sound that I want can come only from gut, in the case of the D and G strings. But for the A string, the difference seems less critical.

Henry,

This question does not say so much because it's totally dependent on what type of string you have. As Danielle said: gut strings don't need a fine tuner. What is left are steel strings: and all that have these strings use a fine tuner mostly four.

The answer on the initial question when only steel strings are taken into account must be: hundreds of thousands.

The A tuner is helpful in orchestra (and performance) situations to quickly retune slight changes that may have occurred. There are a few female viruosi who use them (Mutter and maybe Chang).

I was always a one-tuner (E) violinist, but I did switch to Bois d'Harmonie tailpieces as I approached age 70 to make small tuning changes easier when my joints hurt. I probably still do 90%+ of my (non-E) tuning with the pegs. But those other fine tuners have come in handy under tho hot stage lights.

Andy

quote:

Originally posted by:
Winston

That set-up (using fine tuners on both the E and A strings) was very common prior to 1970 or so, especially with students. Unless you were using all-metal strings, the G and D were gut wound --and a fine tuner wasn't needed. The metal E always needed one, of course. But in the case of the A string, a few old-timers would still use plain gut, otherwise, it was either a metal A or a gut wound A. The gut wound A's typically had a short life span and required constant tuning.

I began learning in the 1960s and used that setup for many years. It worked well but because of the steel A I never learned to tune my A string "properly" i.e., with the violin in position, manipulating the peg with the LH fingers. Still can't do it, but I use a Pusch tailpiece with 4 fine tuners with my synthetic strings so it's not typically an issue!