Pretty back

Beaux Eau

I couldn't agree more!  And it would be fun to get more

replies.  But - I grew up watching Mickey Mouse Club in black

and white, and I haven't figured out how to post an

active link!  If you'd be willing to waste the time to

help me out, I'll promise to do better!

Hi Beaux Eaux,

You can either just paste it, like I did above and the link is recognised, or you can press the "http" button with the chain-link icon just below/right where it says ' Message Text * '.

I hope this helps

I am suspicious that the violin is a revarnished german trade but you should wait until the real authorities speak.

I agree, I think it is revarnished. It sure doesn't look like an Italian to me. This seller (who always photographs the violins on this shag carpet) always gives the most outrageuos attributions to common work.

The corners appear to be german, the overall thick look to the fiddle also suggests it is either German or Czech. The scrolls not bad though. I'd put odds on Czech because I have seen more that have both that heavy look and the same type of flaming on the back.

Hi! I think it was built in an outside mold because in one photo you can see a (bad) joint in the rib mitre, that's typical of an outside mold (but I may be wrong).

The accurate description: that points out that the seller is a dealer. A "normal" person (that could be selling a jewell without knowing it's value...) would not decribe the violin in such a precise way.

This is a description I would like to see:

"This violin is with my family for decades, it was in the attic. Unfortunatly it's not German... And it's not new too (I know that old pianos are worthless). It needs new strings too. There is a paper inside in which it's written: "Josef Rocca fecit - Taurini ANNO dOMINI 1846 - IHS".

Yes, that would be great. This would be good also:

"There are some letters and a card inside the case written: "Paolo Borciani - Quarteto Italiano", it seems the violin belonged to him but I've never heard this name before, I'm a rock lover and I want to get rid of it as soon as possible".

I had a cello here some years ago. It belonged to a very cultured Catholic priest from Milano. The cello was a Ferdinando Garimberti, with a one piece back, in mint condition. The priest had made a poverty vow, so that he had to sell his old precious cello, but was authorized to comission one from Garimberti. All that was documented with letters and eclesiastical documents... fantastic. When I told the old priest the market value of the cello he was quite surprised, his vows would not permit him to get it today... I sent it to the Rome and from there it whent to Japan and a new professional center for poor people was built on his parish with the money. I've earned nothing with the whole operation.

Hi everyone, I agree completely with Tuckers as this seller has

been around the block a few times and knows exactly what he is

doing. He is hoping that someone from here or abroad will believe

his story and this is the kind of violin seller that ebay needs to

get rid of but that will never happen. Just another reason why so

many people are afraid to buy a violin on ebay. john j

I actually believe this seller has the notion he is experienced and that his attributions are correct, which is not to say he isn't suffering from ISOC syndrome. There are a number of sellers with similar confidence in their identification abilities, which is always the source of a bit of a chuckle and a roll of the eyes. He doesn't claim to be ignorant (despite his ignorance) and, in fact, generally refers to himself as a dealer. Nevertheless, in my opinion, this is a Czech fiddle, not revarnished, but the back does look to have been tampered with.

I read this seller's listings from time to time and I also remember his listings from when his seller ID was different. I have always felt he went a little over the top, which I might be guilty of myself from time to time. The difference is that he seems to do it all the time.

eBay is a funny market where "professional, soloist" violins often sell for less than $500. It is a fine line to walk between outrageous and exhuberant. If a high quality, prewar Markneukirchen trade violin were to be described as a high level student instrument (which is accurate) it is unlikely to sell for $500 on eBay. It would be $2500-$3500 in any real shop. Hinting that a violin might be Italian, or suggesting that a thing with common and coarse attributes was in fact, a fine, rare and valuable thing, is deception and fraud, no matter how you slice it. However, such behavior involving violins is scarcely limited to eBay.

I have found that an enthusiastic description, allowing for a bit of reality to add credibility, and disclosure of defects in detail, actually leads to higher prices as bidders have more confidence that they have been given adequate data for a rational decision. All puff with no substance will tend to alienate just those buyers who will spend more.

It is a bit difficult for a relative novice like myself to come across convincingly as an expert, but the serious buyer wants to deal with someone who has at least some expertise. But I have heard the top experts say, "I don't know" sometimes. Even a listing with a big "I don't know" can be interesting and result in a good price.

The seller who is the subject of this thread is making a mistake in not offering a guarantee. Final sales result in lower average prices. Generally much lower. I take back about 10% of what I sell on eBay, and almost always sell the person another violin anyway. Even if I didn't resell the returned instrument and threw it away, I would be ahead. Don't worry, I never throw them away.

I am sensitive to this very topic because it is difficult to get a good price on eBay with an understated and conservative description. I have experimented with various styles from the austere to the dry and factual, to over kill, and humorous. I prefer the humorous, but no one is really willing to pay for a joke. Having started out as an eBay buyer, I try to do what appeals to me, but I am sure others are turned off a bit.

What I do not understand is why the violin is listed on the UK site when the seller is from California? Also, he buys a lot of his fiddles on eBay. I have an appraisal he wrote on a violin I bought from another seller on eBay claiming the violin was a Vuillaume shop instrument. That, it is not.

How much puffing is appropriate, I guess depends upon the venue. Does Malibu go too far? I think so. But he hurts himself more than others as his things do not bring good prices.

By the way, I like some of the interesting suggestions for eBay descriptions. I am tempted....

Jesse

I think it just looks like it's from ebay UK, because SR probably plugged the item number into the UK version.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...Item&item=280010351998

BTW there was a thread on here, I think several months ago, that outlined a series of sales from ebay that went something like:

"A" sold a 'genuine' XXXXXX violin (label included no extra charge) to "B"

"B" listed same violin, but with no pedigree since it had been appriased/evaluated and the claim to be a genuine XXXXXX could no longer be maintained. It was sold to buyer "C". It went for substantially less than "B" had paid for it, of course.

"C" then peddled it on ebay, disregarding any insinuation that it was not a genuine XXXXXX and just honed in on the label, claiming they had no other information to make them think it was not genuine. Of course the price took off again without any hint of false label mentioned.

As I recall, the person who started that thead was buyer/seller "B", and Malibu-musical was also part of the alphabet story.

I'd love to find that thread but I can't seem to get search to work for me.

quote:

Originally posted by:
alittlebettereveryday

The thread "kathyk" referenced if anyone's interested:

Yes, that's the one. Now with the old auction links expired though I'm not sure how it was I'd thought malibu fit into the puzzle? Or maybe they didn't at all and my memory is faulty.

quote:

Originally posted by:
Japes
I actually believe this seller has the notion he is experienced and that his attributions are correct, which is not to say he isn't suffering from ISOC syndrome.

Japes - what means ISOC? *i sell only crap* would be my guess, but i really don´t know.

thanks for your help.