I'm using Corelli Alliance string for my violin. But the string,

especially A, is worn too fast. I've changed A string 2 times

during last 2 months.

Maybe it is due to my wet hand or my poor shifting technique. Or

other cause?(too much practice on A?)

Can anyone recommend some resistant string? I have used a Eudoxa,

but it lasted only for 2 weeks.

Thank you.

The pH of some people's perspiration corrodes aluminium.

Chrome and silver are more resistant to this, as is hydronallium. PIRASTRO produces special Obligatos with chrome A and silver D, and new several types of strings have hydronallium windings (an alloy of aluminum, magnesium, silicon and titanium): eg. Warchal, Thomastic.

Jacob,

which Thomastik strings have the hydronallium windings? i haven't

come across this on their website....

thanks!

cassi  

I used to have problems with corroding strings, especially Pirastro Eudoxas. The string I mostly use these days is D'Addario Helicores and they don't seem to corrode.

Do you notice worn grooves under the strings on the fingerboard--scratch marks under the G-string? How about corrosion spots on the G-string? I find people who perspire more, often have these problems and the fingerboard can wear quite fast from the persperation and abrasive corrosion spots on the strings.

I don't know if it will help; but what about wiping the strings and fingerboard down each day with a light oil based cleaner?

I have seen "String Oil" sold in shops before and never knew what it was meant for----maybe this is the purpose for it?

quote:

Originally posted by:
SakamotoRyoma

I have used a Eudoxa,

but it lasted only for 2 weeks.

Just found this. Maybe I'll start stocking a few bottles.

Pirastro : Eudoxa

If you perspire, you will have to clean these strings every evening after you play. Pirastro sells a special string cleaner which you should use.

All About Violin Strings

quote:

Originally posted by:
Danielle

string oil is for gut strings

I've heard that before and it makes sense.

But will it hurt synthetic core strings or the fingerboard? It must be composed of a gentle enough oil that it won't. In any case I wouldn't think it could be any worse than not cleaning them.

I checked the Pirastro website and they only mention their string cleaner being used for removing rosin including on Evah Pirazza strings.

Another website mentions it for other uses:

Pirastro-String Care Oil: Protects strings againt humidity, acid and sweat. Use at fingerboard area only.

Bottle 50 ml.

http://www.atlanticviolinsupplies.com/Strings.asp

Has anyone ever used guitar type silicone based lubricant on violin strings? Something in the line of FastFret? I have a feeling silicone would hurt violin strings... not sure though.

I haven't tried Pirastro string oil, but my guess is that oil is oil, and any good quality light oil will do it. Phillip Kass recommended olive oil to me, and that's what I use, with good results- also on wound Eudoxa's. Larry.

I tried the guitar oil on violin strings (NOT the bowing region). The feeling of playing is completely different, but in my view not in a good way. It was a mineral oil based product from the smell. I suspect that the silicon-based ones and "lemon" oils would be similar because of the feel when they are used on a guitar. I don't use them personally but I got the mineral oil impregnated cotton stick for my son who was corroding his Gibson electric guitar strings so much that the octave harmonic was nowhere near 12th fret!

I would be suspicious of the silicon or PTFE products, since they can migrate and deposit one molecule deep on to the varnish and the bowing region.

Thank you for your replies.

I didn't notice corrosion spot on fingerboard, but have some dirt

after every exercise. Maybe my sweat is the cause. I'm trying to

clean strings after exercise with microfiber fabrics.

I hear of string oil for the first time. You mean I should use it

with strings over area of fingerboard? Not with fingerboard. Right?

(Sorry for my English)

I'll try it.

Now, I'm using Thomastik Dominant. I hope it lasts long. I feel

Dominant has lesser tension than Corelli Alliance. I feel much

comfort with E string at high positions.

The string cleaner mentioned in the article is not the same as string oil - Pirastro makes 2 separate products, string oil and string cleaner. The string oil is for use on gut, and the string cleaner is for general string (and fingerboard) cleaning. I use it on my Obligatos and it works fine (I only use it occasionally, as I try to wipe the rosin dust off with a cloth every time I put the violin away).