strung a violin with viola strings ?

Listening to Manfio's sound samples I realize that my Fiolin sounds a bit like that. That is a bit bigger and deeper than a "normal" violin.

The volume of the Fiolin is a little bigger than that of a normal violin but the geometry and overall sizes are standard violin. The extra volume is achieved by more surface area in the c-bout area.

So, what would happen if one strung a violin with viola strings but kept violin tuning? And vice-versa?

Viola strings would be most likely be thicker, giving a higher tension. The extra length would be a problem, I think. There isn't a wide choice of good short-length strings around.

I'm not sure that there would be an inherent difference in sound, other than what will be the result of a thicker gauge. In other words, what you will hear will be how the violin reacts to higher-tension strings.

"So, what would happen if one strung a violin with viola strings but kept violin tuning? And vice-versa? "

If you strung a violin with viola strings but kept violin tuning, the strings would be over-tightened and might break.

If you strung a viola with violin strings but kept viola tuning, the strings would be much too loose and possibly too short depending on the size of the viola.

My comments were based on the assumption that violin tuning would be used, and that a viola G would be used for violin G, etc, but that a violin E would be used.

Murray, perhaps you should tell us what you had in mind - viola strings with viola tuning on violin, viola strings with violin tuning on violin, but keeping all four viola strings (which, as Brad pointed out, will most likely result in broken strings), or the method above which I assumed is what you had in mind.

Hi Kotie. In my quest to learn something new every day, this thought crossed my mind when I heard Manfio's viola sound bytes. I don't have any particular need to make these changes, I just wondered....

And thanks, now I know more about the diffrences about violins and violas. I have 2 lovely violas in my possession at the moment and it's nice to know a bit more about them, my general viola knowledge has been minimal so far.