Maestronet Forums

Musafia Cases

kapellmeister

Having looked at many Musafia cases recently, I can't help but notice that every (used) case that I have seen always has a "bridge line" on the top padding, where the bridge has rubbed against the top half of the case.

Now, from what I understand about "suspension" cases (the Musafia cases included), the point of the "suspension system" is to avoid impact directly on the back of the violin, if the bottom of the case is hit. The suspension system has padding (roughly) around the upper block and lower block of the violin, in an effort to keep the majority of violin back "suspended" above the actual case back.

Getting to the million-dollar question: These suspension systems are designed to have the major contact points be around what I consider to be the "strong" parts of the violin. Now, suppose the violin case back is struck- theoretically, the suspension padding will transmit almost all of the impact to the two blocks and the areas where the padding touches the back of the violin. However, since the crucial, delicate areas (eg. the soundpost area) are not directly touching the back of the case, the impact should not be felt greatly in these areas (once again, theoretically-speaking).

Now, since I have always noticed these "bridge lines" on the padding on the top half of the case (to be specific, the strip of padding that runs length-wise over the violin and carries the brass Musafia label), I assume that means that the top of the case directly touches the bridge. Quite firmly, too, if the bridge rubs hard enough through the blanket to create the "bridge line" impression on the padding.

The million dollar question: The bridge, and where it touches on the violin top, are obviously very delicate parts of the violin. Now, since the bridge touches the top of the case, if the top of the case is struck, won't the bridge (and therefore, the soundpost/bass bar areas of the violn top) absorb the impact directly?

I have been told that it is good to have the padding around the bridge, in order to protect it. But, given how the suspension system works to protect the back, it seems rather counterintuitive to have the top of the case be DIRECTLY touching the bridge for protection purposes.

Am I being paranoid? Fellow violinists, have you ever had a problem with your bridges/soundposts area/etc being damaged in Musafia cases?

Neither of my Musafia cases (new when I bought them) show bridge marks. OF course,k using the balnket supplied with the case might be helping. The new Salvatore Arcado case has extra padding at the center of the top that would further cushion a contacting bridge.

Is it possible that the bridges of the violins that had been in the cases you examined were too high, or that the instruments didd not fit the suspension system properly?

I think there is a hazard in what you describe - but more in crushing than in impact shock.

Andy

My husband has that issue with his Musafia shaped case. He has two violins that fit the case just fine and two with higher bridges that don't. He only uses the shaped case with the lower-bridge violins, so it hasn't been a problem. His regular Musafia cases seem to handle his other violins fine. (We've even tested it out with a little bit of chalk to be sure the bridge isn't touching. Even setting aside damage issues if the case is dropped, it seems like any contact could potentially screw up a sound adjustment.) Now maybe if you have a higher-arched violin or an even higher bridge, it would be a problem.

HS, perhaps I am confused- do you mean to place one of those big ebony practice mutes ON the bridge when putting it in the case? It seems like that would only increase the height, making for MORE contact with the top of the violin case, and with that, more pressure on the bridge/violin top. I'm probably misreading something somewhere...could you clarify what you meant? Thanks!

KM,

I think HS is pulling on your leg, if not pressing on your bridge.

Erika,

I'm glad to see other people worry about case lids touching bridge tops. My method of checking for any contact of lid with bridge top is to place a small label, about 15 mm by 15 mm, with one sticky side, sticky side up, on the bridge between A and D string at top of bridge. If after carefully closing and opening the lid, the label is no longer resting on the bridge and strings, but sticking to the lid, instead, I know that there's little or no room between inside of lid and bridge top.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit out of topic.  I have one Musafia and one fake Musafia

case.  Its interesting that the fake one has better

protection.  But its too heavy.  (the real Musafia case

is already very heavy!)  

I have tore the fake case into pieces. (its only 1/10 of the

original price so I dun mind to destroy it) And omg its made

of wood.  No wonder its so heavy! Anybody using

Musafia case?  I think the one I bought is the lowest model.

I'm wondering which one is much more lighter.  

the test i used to make sure my case wasn't having contact with the

bridge is this:

take tin foil (like the stuff you use to wrap up leftovers with)

and wrap it around the D string , right next to the bridge

which is the highest point on your bridge..... after wrapping

it around the D string, extend a strip upwards.

close the case for a few minutes, then open it..... the tin foil

will remember the position and when you open it could give you an

indication of where the case lid sits in relation to the

bridge.

if the tin foil is completely flat then you should look for another

case