Maestronet Forums

Slow, slow - really slow

Jacob

Why is this so?

On the Pegbox (which is the only forum in which I participate) several long-standing users have declared their intention to withdraw, and some occasional postings from previously prolific contributors have identified the excruciatingly slow loading of pages as the reason for scaling down their participation.

I'm on broadband, and even so, at times new page requests simply time out.

It has been suggested that participating in this forum costs me nothing.

How and why does Maestronet exist? If it is simply a goodwill exercise, I'll shut up and go away.

However, the extensive amount of advertising on Maestronet gives the impression that some business concerns are involved. It is probably the case that Maestronet needs its advertisers. If so, it also needs its visitors/contributors. One cannot advertise to nobody.

If that is so, let me enlighten somebody out there: these forums have long ago ceased to be user-friendly. The slowness with which the pages load is BAD FOR BUSINESS. I cannot and will not accept that this is a necessary price to pay - find me any site anywhere which is as slow as this, while at the same time seemingly providing so little information for the pain.

There has to be a way to fix this problem which will be good for Maestronet, its advertisers and its users alike.

Jacob,

is this why things have been so dead here the last few days, people

have just abandoned the board? that would be sad for me--i really

get a lot of enjoyment listening to the people here, and have

learned loads!

as far as the ads go, i have to say that i use many of the links

quite a lot, and although i haven't bought any instruments from any

of them, i certainly know about them now and visit their websites,

and i definitely have used the Pirastro and Thomastik sites to

select strings to try, which i have purchased! (if i had the money,

i'd be sending some business the way of the instrument-selling

places, too!    

if this does go down the tubes, do you know where people are going?

(or maybe i'm a pain, and you'd rather not say?  

even though the site is often slow, sometimes to the point of being

frustrating, i put up with it because i like this board

the best of the ones i've visited! the people here are friendly and

helpful, and are very interesting! i'd hate to lose that!

cassi  

Hi Cassi

The "upgrade" of the interface about 18 months ago (?) was a giant step backwards. My frustration has just recently reached critical proportions, hence this post.

Maestronet won't go down the tubes, at worst it will gradually lose contributors, at best it will keep going because of the sentiments you voiced. Either way, the appalling slowness of the server affects the quality of the fora directly and indirectly.

I've experienced no issues with the forum pages' loading speed from my computer (cable modem, Apple eMac, FireFox), and I'm a frequent vistor. I wonder if there's some specific issue that some users' systems are more sensitive to than others. I do agree that the forum "upgrade" was a step backwards in terms of convenience and usability. -Steve

We are aware of the issue and are working on it. We are looking at a firewall problem which we hope to resolve shortly. As a general note, the servers we are currently using are new aquisitions - last few months or so. The new firewall was added at that time also and seems to be creating this problem. We are working with the manufacturer to resolve this. Thank you for your patience.

i use Windows (aarrrggghhh!) and Firefox, and have cable

broadband...sometimes other sites, especially YahooMail during the

evening, are slow, but i'll have to say that Maestronet can be

painfully, crashing often, and when doing replies, getting 2-3

characters at a time to show up about once a minute or two! when it

gets like that, i just do other stuff while replying!  

cassi  

quote:

Originally posted by:
Jacob

Hi Cassi

The "upgrade" of the interface about 18 months ago (?) was a giant step backwards...........

I'll second that comment, why has it taken so long to finally admit to there being a problem when complaints about the site slowness have been posted ever since that update?

There are many sites on the Internet as comprehensive as this one and they load in just a few seconds.

Please extract the digit Maestronet and get it back to the speed it once had.

Hey... I've just been playing with browsers and I'm currently trying Opera (I had been using IE6). I was very surprised to find that Maestronet pages now load in at least one quarter the time. I notice from other previous comments that people using Firefox also report no problems - maybe it's browser related.

By the way - I like Opera a lot. It has tabbed browsing and also remembers all your pages if you accidentally hit the "close" button (which I was always doing in IE). When you start up in Opera you are exactly where you left off.

I also have very few problems with speed. I use firefox on linux. The Java stuff has crashed a couple times, but overall, not all that bad. If a page doesn't load as I expect it, I stop and reload and it almost always pops right up.

Sounds like another reason to blow off microsoft

We think that we have found the major source of slowdowns to the Maestronet site in the last several weeks, and rectified the situation. I am running Opera as well, although I have tested the site in IE and in Firefox. IE is definitely slower than the other two at getting the whole site and rendering the page. Generally, most pages should completely load with 8-10 seconds on a broadband connection.

If you are still finding things loading slow, then please post here and let us know roughly how long it is taking for pages to get displayed, and please post if you can, your geographic location and ISP. We are continuing to look at solutions and improvements that will speed the site up. We know that the server itself can generate virtually every page in less than one second, so we know that the issue is getting the content to your machine, not a server capacity issue.

I will be posting more information here as it comes to light.

Running Windows XP in the UK I find MN is definately the slowest site I visit. I'm browsing using AOL default settings and broadband. Always when I log on I get a security warning that the Java facility is out of date. Sometimes I cannot reply to PMs because the Java applet will not open. Many of these problems may be due to my computer ignorance but I do clear out my cache and MN is slow in comparison to other sites. Another problem is that I cannot log out of MN unless I go offline. Using my wife's Mac I have no problems here or recently in Japan. Great to hear the problems are being worked on...Thanks,Melvin

I've just swapped over to Firefox from Windows IE6, (running Win XP) and find it Maestronet loads MUCH quicker, along with a general speedup of all the other sites I've visited to date. It looks like Windows IE6 RIP from now on.