Maestronet Forums

Scott Cao and VSA medals ???

apartmentluthier

I have noticed that in "Strings" magazine Scott runs a full page ad every month listing that he is a VSA medal winner, as does his website, yet the VSA website has no record of him winning anything.

I thought this a bit odd and I went back to the Strings ad and read it again and the wording of the ad states that the VIOLIN won a medal at VSA, not Scott. Does anyone know the story behind this? I am assuming that VSA took some action against him, and I have heard rumors to the same effect, but I can find no details anywhere about this.

The thing that also strikes me is that Scott won over a period of several years. Why would all medals be stripped accross the board?

Hi,

The two claims on the advertsed page in STRING, may 2006 can be easily checked

by e-mail to VSA. Silver model 1996 and tone winner of some kind 1992.

Why did not anyone ask the magazine directly? It is a straigforward thing to do if interested

For me, I do not care that much. Just my thought.

I agree. I think he's done a good job with his violins, and created a strong brand. The ones made in China are an excellent value and play better than some modern instruments that cost 3 times are much. The other thing is consistency, he can consistently grade the instruments so that you know your getting progressive levels up as you move up the curve. The Signature Series (the one I tried) is approaching or possibly plays as well as his own (although there was not a sample there to compare). I think the folks he has at his Campbell workshop are capable of producing medal winning violins and I wouldn't be surprised if they would win some. I think Li Xiu Ding already won a Cello medal for tone some time ago, and who knows maybe he'll enter this year and win a violin medal. Keep in mind that the violins coming from Campbell workshop are American made, which means a benchmade American violin for $3500 (STV-1500) or $5500 Signature Series.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by:
lastchair
The other thing is

consistency, he can consistently grade the instruments so that you

know your getting progressive levels up as you move up the curve.

The Signature Series (the one I tried) is approaching or possibly

plays as well as his own (although there was not a sample there to

compare). I think the folks he has at his Campbell workshop are

capable of producing medal winning violins and I wouldn't be

surprised if they would win some. I think Li Xiu Ding already won a

Cello medal for tone some time ago, and who knows maybe he'll enter

this year and win a violin medal. Keep in mind that the violins

coming from Campbell workshop are American made, which means a

benchmade American violin for $3500 (STV-1500) or $5500 Signature

Series.

Well, even the signature series does not stand for violins made by

him. Real violin made by his costs about 10000 US dollars. "http://page9.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/k31412851">Like this

one