• Announcements

• ghunt

Whole Site SSL   03/08/17

Whole site SSL is now turned on and forced for all pages on Maestronet. If you have any problems, please contact the admin team.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woodland

Removing Titebond glue

10 posts in this topic

I've got an old violin that someone tried to repair with Titebond glue. Anyone know the best way to dissolve this stuff? The neck is out with the block still attached to it. There's also a good bit of it on the ribs and the button. Never had to remove that stuff before...

Titebond does not adhere well to non-porous surfaces so it flakes off varnish pretty easily. To remove it from wood, I moisten it for about 10 minutes. It softens a bit so it can be scraped off. Some people recommend vinegar, but I've never tried it.

I've used vinegar on white glue, I'll have to try it on the Titebond...

"What is the best way to disassemble a glue joint?

The key to the disassembly of glue joints is weakening the bond. For Titebond Original and Titebond II, raising the glue joint temperature with a heat gun or a blow dryer will reduce the glue's strength. Steam from an iron may also work for Titebond Original. Placing a few drops of water on the edge of a joint made with Titebond Liquid Hide Glue will, after absorbed, cause the joint to weaken. "

From this web page: http://www.titebond.com/FaqTB.asp

Titebond Technical Support Hotline: 1-800-347-GLUE.

Tell us what they recommend.

Mike in NJ

I use titebond alot in guitarmaking and you can get pieces apart with heat. If the block is still attached to the neck place a rag over the block and hold it against your bending iron. It will take a couple of minutes for the heat to penetrate the wood but have an old kitchen knife ready to pry the two pieces apart.

For white glue I've used a product called "De Glue Goo," which

seems to be vinegar thickened with something to give it a gel-like

consistency. It seems to work pretty well. I think it's supposed to

work the same on yellow glues like Titebond.

Progress report - I've used the De Glue Goo and it works pretty well on Titebond. Smells like vinegar, but is much thicker and doesn't run as much. To separate the neck from the block, I heated up the bending iron and pressed a wet paper towel against the joint. The glue softened within minutes and worked apart pretty easily. This is an old violin labeled Ingnatio Penze, Cremona, 17--. Looks German or Czech to me. Full of old repairs, some better than others. I counted no less than 3 kinds of glue slobbered all over the insides. A mess indeed...

good deal! Heat works on titebond and also on fish glue.