Maestronet Forums

Beethoven Sonatas

Danielle

• 1 month later...

I just heard a very odd recording with Fritz Kreisler and Rachmaninov. Before my freind put it on I thought sure, but it turned out to be by far the best Beethoven sonata recording I have ever heard. Kreisler at his very best pre stroke. Very light and musical. I found it to be very touching, unlike most recordings. It was just 8 though. The recording was from 1938. It was on a very strange label from Germany. I do agree the Oistrakh recordings are very consistant in quality and as a set are probably my favorites. How about the Mintz rcordings? Anyone have those?

I just heard a very odd recording with Fritz Kreisler and Rachmaninov. Before my freind put it on I thought sure, but it turned out to be by far the best Beethoven sonata recording I have ever heard. Kreisler at his very best pre stroke. Very light and musical. I found it to be very touching, unlike most recordings. It was just 8 though. The recording was from 1938. It was on a very strange label from Germany. I do agree the Oistrakh recordings are very consistant in quality and as a set are probably my favorites. How about the Mintz rcordings? Anyone have those?

Kreisler/Rachmaninoff recordings were made in 1928, not 1938. However, Kreisler recorded the complete set with Franz Rupp in 1935-36. Although the security of Kreisler's intonation was not as reliable as in his 1920s recordings, they are still marvellously warm and enjoyable by any standard, and Rupp's contribution should not be overlooked either. He was a fine musician with keen sense of ensemble, rather than diligent but unimaginateve accompanist (such as Emmanuel Bay in the Heifetz set).

I find it impossible to single out a set as the definitive or best since all the sonatas are quite different in characters. Some does very well in the early sonatas (such as Boskkovsky/Kraus, Francescatti/Casadesus and Grumiaux Haskil), others in more dramatic, bigger sonatas (such as Heifetz/Bay, Kremer/Argerich and Pamela & Claude Frank). Ideally, one should own more than one set. It is much more enjoyable that way. I will list three of my "current" (it may change tomorrow. I am fickle) favorites for each sonatas. If you don't agree with my choices, it just means you have a different taste from mine. Nobody is correct in this regard.

In no particular order:

No.1 Kreisler/Rupp, Kremer/Argerich, Boskovsky/Kraus

No.2 Kreisler/Rupp, Francescatti/Casadesus, Kremer/Argerich

No.3 Heifetz/Bay (2nd recording), Grumiaux/Haskil, Kreisler/Rupp

No.4 Kreisler/Rupp, Grumiaux/Haskil, Mutter/Oakis

No.5 Kreisler/Rupp, Szigeti/Schnabel, Morini/Firkusny

No.6 Kreisler/Rupp, Heifetz/Bay, Grumiaux/Haskil

No.7 Menuhin/Kentner, Szeryng/Reiner (live), Heifetz/Bay

No.8 Kreisler/Rachmaninoff, Busch/Serkin, Szeryng/Rubinstein

No.9 Gitlis/Argerich, Huberman/Friedman, Thibaud/Cortot

No.10 Szigeti/Schnabel, Mutter/Oakis, Menuhin/Gould

T.

+++++++++++++

I find Anne Sophie Mutter quite interesting too, very personal, although very criticized by many.

( ORIGINALLY POSTED BY MANFIO)

++++++++++++++++++

Hi

I feel the same. Her recording (performance of Sonatas) is a DVD which is more real than

sound recordings. It is unfair to compare it to "no picture" sound recordings which can be edited

a hundred time until it is perfect. Mistakes could be erased, repaired etc.

DVDs are harder to make,more expensive

to make, therefore so few. Midori's tape is also good. Why? Live recording. (Period)

Vengorov's too, live recording!! Show your stuff which is hard.

PS. You can see what instrument they used in forformances. I can see Midori's violin bridge.

Mutter's facial expression (like it or not beside the point, I happen like it a lot). Vengorovs' "Bach" (very impressive)

They brought us to a different level of appreciation.. Man.( Don't call me. I am taking a break)

I don't agree with DVD being more real than sound recordings. Of course images can be edited if one wish to do so. How do you think movies are made(I am NOT talking about home-made movies obviously)? They are not made of a single "take." And, some of the live "sound" recordings are rather dubious in nature as well. For example, Horowitz's 1965 Carnegie Hall concert had a few portions of "retakes" inserted because Horowitz was not happy about the result.

If one wants to hear real "unedited" recordings, one should listen to recordings originated from 78s (shellac discs) when splicing technique was not available.

T.

• 9 years later...

Anyone have any updates to the information here?  I'm getting ready to perform No. 10 (my first performing chamber music on violin in a decade or so).  As usual, I miss having Toscha on the board.

PS-  The Kreisler/Rupp recording is my favorite at the moment.  So much style!!!  Szigeti/Schnabel is a close second, wow!