Maestronet Forums

Hollywood Concertos

Lydia Leong

If Danny Elfman wrote something for viola I'll play it. His style would be particularly suited for this instrument, and he is a natural genius at orchestration, I bet he could score the tricky orchestral accompaniment (to not cover a viola solo) very well indeed.

I discovered that Leonard Rosenman (who wrote the score to, among other things, the Ralph Bakshi "Lord of the Rings") has composed two violin concertos. Does anyone know if either of these have been recorded?

This has gotten me to wondering what other Hollywood composers, and those with closely related "sounds", have written concertos for string instruments... and who out there has played one or more of them, and what you think of 'em.

Miklos Rozsa (of "Ben-Hur", "Spellbound", "Madame Bovary", "El Cid", etc.) has written a violin concerto, a cello concerto, and what is effectively a violin/cello double concerto (the Theme and Variations).

Erich Wolfgang Korngold ("Adventures of Robin Hood", "Captain Blood", "The Sea Hawk", etc.) has written a violin concerto.

John Williams ("Star Wars", "Raiders of the Lost Ark", etc.) has written a violin concerto.

Gian Carlo Menotti ("Amahl and the Night Visitors" opera-for-TV) has written a violin concerto.

(Walton, Prokofiev, Shostakovich, all wrote film music but cannot be considered to have a Hollywood sound.)

Surely there must be others?

I am curious.

Basil Poledouris is my favorite composer of movie music. He wrote the music to Conan the Barbarian, Starship Troopers, The Hunt for Red October, Red Dawn, RoboCop - just to name a few.

Has he written anything outside of movies?

Thanks.

Andrew

[This message has been edited by Jascha (edited 08-07-2000).]