Sign in to follow this  
celticcello

Looking for 3/4 cello

Hi all

Any opinions on a very good 3/4 cello? Not a "student" model, no laminates please. Would like great tone and craftsmanship, and attractive.

With some of my injuries I'm considering "downsizing." I own a 7/8 but still seem to squirm a lot trying to get comfortable without overstressing my arm(s) and shoulders. Even my hips are a bit challenged these days.

I know it is unconventional for an adult to play a smaller instrument, but sometimes we need to think and live outside of the box! It is worth a try, anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Jill

Where are you located? Are you near Pennsylvania? 3 years ago I bought a 3/4 size John Jusek cello from Violin Makers Limited which is in Camp Hill, Pennsylvania. I am very satisfied with it. It is good looking and has an "adult" sound. For the cello and two bows and a hard shell Bobelock case, I paid a little under $5,000. The shop's website is www.vml123.com

I was talking with the owner just yesterday and he said that at the moment his shop was filled to overflowing with cellos.

Hi Elisabeth,

Thank you for your information. That is about the price range which I am considering.

I live in San Diego and generally purchase instruments from Robert Cauer in Los Angeles. I'll check with Mr. Cauer as to his having a Jusek 3/4. I believe I have seen them at his shop before.

Do you play a 3/4 or is it for someone else?

Thank you.

Jill