Maestronet Forums

ID Neck/Rib Joint ??

troutabout

Your violin appears to be amateur American work. I've mostly seen this style of neck attachment on cheap Klingenthal (Germany) violins. I'd guess that the maker of your violin used a neck that he or she salvaged from another violin whose body got destroyed. It was common for American makers to make only the body of a violin and set into it a purchased (or sometimes salvaged) imported neck.

What Brad says has merrit. I associate those necks with violins like CT mentions. They often get "upgraded" by regraduating the rough gouged tops, bass bars added in place of the carved in ones, and a neck wedge to effectivly increase the neck angle. It looks like an applied bassbar in Troutabout's photo and the actual modeling of the violin top looks like amature maker. I know of at least one upright bass that was built like that so I assume the rest of the family could be as well.

Thanks for the input, guys. The top is obviously a painfully inferior replacement piece. The back, neck and ribs I believe are the original violin. And the heavy bassbar is carved in, not added. The violin has vertually no overstand and to get the neck angle up I did the best that I could with a 'pullback' and a dowel under the fingerboard to hold it while the upper bout glue dried with the back clamped. The end result is a 32nd inch pout of the back button that will be removed when I get where I'm going with it.

After all the glue dried I strung it with steel strings to determine a path of progress and it sounded fair. Now I will go back in and regraduate and remove some of the bassbar mass or replace it alltogether. This amatuer belly is damping an otherwise sweet and even sound. It will never be one tenth the violin like I bought from Picknbow but then those don't pop up that often.