Maestronet Forums

What are the concert programs of your dreams?

MANFIO

I would love a concert with programs like this:

1 - Beethoven and Brahms concertos (Ok, no Menuhin to play both in the same night, so I would acccept two soloists).

2 - Shostakovich 1 th and Prokofiev 1 th;

3 - Idem 2 th and th;

5 - All Mozart concerti in just one night;

Some would say, too much violin concertos for just one night, but I would love it...

Signor Manfio, Very fun topic!

I would want to hear a program played by Jascha Heifetz with the old Philadelphia orchestra conducted by Eugene Ormandy.

1. Saint Saens concerto in b minor

2. Wieniawski Concerto in f# minor

intermission

3. Goldmark concerto in a minor

The reason - these are all works he knew and referred to often, but never recorded or performed to my knowledge.

In that same category (possibly as an encore)

Schubert " Duo" Sonata in a minor. (a piano could be brought on stage for this) . The pianist - Vladimir Horowitz, naturally. Cheers, Larry.

An evening of violin/piano recital by Ivry Gitlis and Martha Argerich with the following program.

Beethoven Sonata No.7 or 9

Schumann No.2

(Intermission)

Enescu Sonata No.2 and 3

Ravel Tzigane

generous serving of various encores.

The other would be:

Schumann piano concerto (with Cortot, Furtwangler with BPO)

Intermission

Beethoven triple concerto (with Cortot, Thibaud Casals, with Furtwangler or Mengelberg conducting)

Or Kreisler and Rachmaninoff playing sonata cycles of Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Brahms, Schumann (actually I am not going to be picky about repertoire for this duo).

As a generic repertoire choices, I would love to hear this kind of programming.

a Baroque sonata

Schubert C major Fantasy

Intermission

Godowsky selections from the 12 Impressions, or Korngold "Much ado about nothing" suite

Enescu No.3

as an encore, Suk "Love Song" op.7, No.1 and Kupkovic "Souvenir"

Thanks for a fun topic!

T.

Hi, thank you all, good suggestions!

I love chamber music, so, what about:

1 - Mozart and Brahms Clarinet Quintets (with Openheim and Budapest Quartet)

2 - Ravel's Introduction and Allegro for Harp and other instruments, Debussy sonata for Harp, viola and Flute, Villa Lobos Quintet with Harp, strings and flute.

By the way, it's not all that difficult to listen to a dream's repertoire, about 2 years ago I called the soprano Martha Herr and pianist Achille Picchi for private recital/party in my home. I was not able to make the entire program, but they agreed on Faurè.

There was an actual concert of Beethoven's work on December 22, 1808, where he premiered the 5th and 6th symphonies, the 4th piano concerto, Ah Perfido, the Choral Fantasy, and movements of the Mass in C. It lasted four hours. Here are some links to info about it.

">http://www.aam.co.uk/index.htm

">http://www.rpo.org/phils02_pn.html

">http://www.bostoncecilia.org/p...n-ah-perfido.html

Anyhow, in my view, that was the ultimate concert.

quote:

Originally posted by:
MANFIO

Some would say, too much violin concertos for just one night, but I would love it...

I actually get to listen to something like that during the International Violin Competition of Indianapolis. It's half a month of nonstop violin performances. During the two concerto rounds, you hear three concertos each evening.

"Schubert " Duo" Sonata in a minor. (a piano could be brought on stage for this) . The pianist - Vladimir Horowitz, naturally. Cheers, Larry."

Wouldn't Horowitz just drown out Heifetz with his incessant banging. I don't mean to insult you. I'm actually asking a question. Obviously many people, of good intellect and musical ability think Horowitz was great, but a great many as well don't understand, myself included. I can pick him out in an instant on the radio. I have listened and listened and listened, and I just don't get it. Perhaps it's just a style I don't understand.

quote:

Originally posted by:
DR. S

"Schubert " Duo" Sonata in a minor. (a piano could be brought on stage for this) . The pianist - Vladimir Horowitz, naturally. Cheers, Larry."

Wouldn't Horowitz just drown out Heifetz with his incessant banging. I don't mean to insult you. I'm actually asking a question. Obviously many people, of good intellect and musical ability think Horowitz was great, but a great many as well don't understand, myself included. I can pick him out in an instant on the radio. I have listened and listened and listened, and I just don't get it. Perhaps it's just a style I don't understand.

Do you mean A major, D. 574 (aka. op.162)?

Anyway, I don't know how much of Horowitz you have heard, but he was NOT an incessant banger. He did that from time to time when music called for one (occassionally in wrong places too...), but he was capable of extremely delicate playing as well. Have you heard some of the later DG recordings, especially the one called "Horowitz at Home", or his recording of Schumann's "Arabeske" or "Blumenstucke" or Chopin's Mazurkas? The sensitivity that he plays those works are rarely matched, if never surpassed (Cortot could have matched him had he recorded those works in his prime, but he did not, sadly).

Or even try Horowitz's very few chamber music recordings, such as the Brahms 3rd violin sonata with Milstein or him accompanying Fischer-Dieskau in Schumann's "Dichterliebe" or accompanying Rostropovich in the third movement of the Rachmaninoff's cello sonata. Especially in the Brahms, he is at his best behavior as chamber music partner. The others are little more willful, but no more than Cortot or Schnabel in chamber music.

Also about Heifetz. According to one of my teacher who played with Heifetz as section violinist in orchestra as well as listened to him in Carnegie Hall, Heifetz had tremendously penatrating sound. I douby that even banging of Horowitz would have completely drowned him.

Of course there are likes and dislikes individuals have, and I do have a few myself (including some names others would swear by), so I am not trying to prove that I am right, but just stating my opinion.

Back to the original topic, I thought of a few more program:

Heifetz and Toscha Seidel giving a duo recital, and at the end joined by Kreisler on viola (he was quite capable on viola apparently) playing Dvorak "Terzetto."

Prihioda doing a concerto night, playing concerti of Mendelssohn, Goldmark and Saint-Saens (no.3).

A chamber music evening played by Ysaye, Kreisler, Thibaud and Casals playing quartets and joined by Piatigorsky for the Schubert and Primrose or Tertis for Mozart or Brahms and alternating also with Enescu, Menuhin and Heifetz on various works. Cortot, Hofmann and Harold Bauer stoping by to do piano quintets as well. (I am getting too greedy, so I'd better stop).

T.

Hi Dr. S. - Re "Wouldn't Horowitz drown out Heifetz...." Who knows what would have happened!

Interestingly, I read that at one point in the '70s there was an effort being made by the record companies to bring Heifetz and Horowitz together to make a joint sonata recording. The project fizzled. The reason? Heifetz would not fly to New York, and Horowitz would not fly to L.A. to make the recording.