Maestronet Forums

General notions about fine instruments

techfiddle

BTW, Mr. Borseman on ProViolin had this to say:

In general professional musicians opinions is, A. Strads are brighter, Del Gesu Guarneries darker and more powerful sounding than Strads, N. Amatis sweeter and less powerful sounding than Strads, et cetera.

I can assure you, there are plenty of exceptions.

Well, I believe in never discus taste or myths.

My advice is look for a pure long ringing sound that can blend in and stand out at the same time.

First position and open E-string will sound marvellous on a good violin, as well as the highest positions. These qualities are rare to find among modern violins.

Please look at

http://www.atelierlabussiere.com/

Ivan Labussiere, several makers, scientists and I always share our latest knowledge.

Ivan is an extremely gifted maker, for the time being working on his new violin-building book in Portuguese.

...your thoughts?

Thanks,

Connie

Hi Connie,

To tell the truth, I am tired of being told that Stard is wonderful,Del Gesu is great. The reason is that

I never have a previlage to play one, let alone to compare them. What I have experience with are my own violins which are copies of these great masters, as their master copies, brighter and

darker in exactly the same order. Older violins seem more responsive and easier to play.

I know a very good player who is not rich but paid 300K for a violin and also $30K for another violin.

There must be a reason which I never know or understand because I do not have his good ears.

Hi Yuen:

The instruments that we're looking at for me are all copies. None of them are the originals, which belong in museums or with very eminent players who can afford them, and afford to insure them. I would not feel comfortable with one. However, a 10-12K or even up to 20K would be fine for me. It's just this search of finding the right one that is causing a problem right now.

I like Dan Larson and now I like these, the http://www.atelierlabussiere.com/ca012.htm But I don't have the price list on these yet. I'm wondering about the bows, too.

Connie

Hi Mrlucky,

You are lucky to have good ears. You can hear more harmonics than I, it is not

so bad. Why it is sad? By the way, thank you for your notice

my terrible photo icon. I am not always like that (sometime worst. lol)

Seriously I am holding the bow too hard, a common mistake, I know. Thanks.

I have a Carlo Bergonzi--it has a very dark quailty and tremendous carrying power. Generally, the wider bouted Cremonese violins have deep power and sustain. However, few people could distinguish between a Strad and A Guarnieri blindfolded.

Hummm.... Take for instance Uto Ughi's Del Gesù and Leonidas Kavacos Strad.... they are very different in terms of sound.

Once I played the CD THE GLORY OF CREMONA for a friend, a fine violist with a kenn ear. I was amazed how precisely he described the sound of the violins: this one is darker, this is more open, this is very sweet, this one has an edge...

You mean Ughi when he is still playing the Ole Bull Del Gesu? and Kavacos's long pattern Strad?

Keep in mind that long pattern isnt normal strad as we know them

quote:

Originally posted by:
MANFIO

Hummm.... Take for instance Uto Ughi's Del Gesù and Leonidas Kavacos Strad.... they are very different in terms of sound.

Once I played the CD THE GLORY OF CREMONA for a friend, a fine violist with a kenn ear. I was amazed how precisely he described the sound of the violins: this one is darker, this is more open, this is very sweet, this one has an edge...

Hah! Phooey on those with good ears I say!

I'm lucky if I can tell the difference between what tune is being played.

However, this does have one truly wonderful advantage. It means I (may one day, possibly, maybe) sound good to myself.

We won't mention the disadvantage that I'll always sound like stewed cabbage to everyone else.

I told you not to mention that.

Neil

Maybe I should start a new thread on this but doesn't any one of you think of a violin as good sounding. Do you have in mind a violin that you like. I have listened to a lot of violins being played.

I do have a violin in mind that I like the sound of. It is one of the ones mentioned above. I think it is the best sounding violin I have heard. It is played by someone you would call a fiddle player.

Anyone want to guess what fiddle I am thinking of?

-dogma

That's the violin illustrated on the Grumiaux website. Click on "Galerie" at the top of the page and then on "Violon."

Grumiaux

It has apparently passed into the hands of Uto Ughi.

1744 del Gesu

When you listen to the Grumiaux recording of the Bach Sonatas and Partitas you can hear the richness and power of that instrument, as well as a great violinist performing music of a great composer.