Maestronet Forums

"thread was edited & locked by one of the site...

raymanrmd123

..site administrators after being asked to by one or two of the contributing members."...that's what happened to the "Who hijacked the Amati Foundation..." thread...oddly, "btownsend"'s explanation post remains...interesting selective censorsship...and the Fritz Reuter thread I started has completely disappeared...so much for free speech on "Maestronet"...good thing Maestronet doesn't run my local newspaper -- they'd probably want to edit the articles before I got to read them...how does everybody feel about such censorship?...post quickly as this thread will no doubt bite the dust soon as well...wonder what Howard Stern would say about this?...you may also want to go to this page and voice your opinion there:

http://www.canadianfreespeech.com/homepage.html

as much as i would like to agree with you on free speech, i also

have to respect the way a private enterprise conducts its business.

for maestronet, this,,,the postings, is their business.

IF maestronet finds certain material not appropriate, i say

too bad, but they still have the final say. I am

neutral in this issue.

i know we will be heading off topic if i answer you directly, so i

will say this: If there is a piece of violin related news, your

local paper editor has the discretion to print it or not.

In fact, imagine my disbelief every time i flip on CNN breaking

news i have never seen anything related to violin, even if someone

drops a strad.

I find the recent censorship of Maestronet that you describe here distasteful. But I firmly believe that freedom of speech does not require Maestronet to display what you want to see. Instead, freedom of speech allows you to start your own forum.

And speaking of Maestronet censorship, did any of you see the toilet thread a while back? Some renegade deviant signed on as a user and put up a long thread consisting entirely of extensive graphic descriptions of his bowel movements. That thread disappeared pretty quickly.

I don't think freedom of speech has ever been a free pass for libel. Those threads were clearly pushing the line, if not outright over it. Personally, I would have axed the Audubon thread as well. I don't have a whole lot of sympathy for people making accusations under anonymous screen names.

quote:

Originally posted by:
raymanrmd123

blah blah blah ... good thing Maestronet doesn't run my local newspaper -- they'd probably want to edit the articles before I got to read them... blah blah blah

You are unbelievably naive if you think your local newspaper doesn't edit the articles. Why do you think the head honcho's title is "Editor"?

If you don't like Maestronet's policies there are other forums that would welcome your 'wisdom'.

Frankly, I hope this thread is also pulled and the sooner the better.

Neil

quote:

Originally posted by:
raymanrmd123

..site administrators after being asked to by one or two of the contributing members."...that's what happened to the "Who hijacked the Amati Foundation..." thread...oddly, "btownsend"'s explanation post remains...interesting selective censorsship...and the Fritz Reuter thread I started has completely disappeared...so much for free speech on "Maestronet"...good thing Maestronet doesn't run my local newspaper -- they'd probably want to edit the articles before I got to read them...how does everybody feel about such censorship?...post quickly as this thread will no doubt bite the dust soon as well...wonder what Howard Stern would say about this?...you may also want to go to this page and voice your opinion there:

I don't believe Maestronet's administrators need to defend themselves. I believe they've done a very good job of managing the site over the years. Censorship? Well... While access to the site is "public", the site is privately owned. You might do well to imagine you're having a conversation in someone else's living room...

Interestingly enough, to my knowledge, Townsend was not one who asked that the thread be edited. I think it's entirely reasonable that the administrators left his reply up. He was the subject of the thread, after all.

The Beare/Reuter thread had nothing to do with auctions (besides being distasteful and lacking merit in other ways, in my opinion) and it was removed.

I am locking this thread. Let's move on. The intended subject matter of this board is listed on the "forums" page.